turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

which gun choice for tss?

Started by DirtNap647, May 24, 2017, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

if you were setting up a gun to shoot tss which combo would it be..?

davisd9

If I was buying a new gun it would be the Weatherby SA-459 20 ga.

Love my little 500 I set up last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DirtNap647

is there one  brand that tends to pattern a little better

vaturkey

With the right choke TSS will shoot good in any gun !
Vaturkey

davisd9

It shoots in anything

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DirtNap647

Is a 20 gauge as powerful as a 12 gauge

davisd9

20 is more than plenty, plenty died with a 28 ha and 410

Forked lighting

Killed 2 this year with a 20 ga Rem 11/87 carlsons choke Federal heavy weight no 7,smy 12 ga retired

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I'd be Leary to run it in a 1500 dollar gun. The shot makes the gun not the other way around.

dirt road ninja

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 24, 2017, 07:40:46 PM
Is a 20 gauge as powerful as a 12 gauge

Power is equal out of either gauge. A #9 pellet at 1000 fps has the same amount of energy regardless of gauge. The difference is in payload. The 12 gauge can push more shot, but you reach a point of diminishing returns with TSS. I load for both, 1 5/8 oz load in the 20 and a 2 1/4 oz out of the 12. The 12 only holds what I feel is an acceptable pattern for 5 yards past the 20. I've reached this conclusion not by using a formula, but by slinging shot down range.

DirtNap647

Wonder why 20 pattern better than 12

kwild835

It doesn't pattern better out of a 20.  It just patterns more than adequate out of a 20.  I would shoot it out of your Maxus if I were you. 

DirtNap647

I thought about doing that  I have a 935 also would you guys try 8 or 9 shot I will be ordering from apex ...tss is a new animal to me

lunghit

Quote from: dirt road ninja on May 24, 2017, 09:20:53 PM
I'd be Leary to run it in a 1500 dollar gun. The shot makes the gun not the other way around.
Just curious why you would be leary? I do want to try it but one of my dedicated turkey guns is expensive so I'd rather not damage anything.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tombo

I shoot it out of a Benelli M2 20ga.