OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Sx3 questions..

Started by Jknight7, May 22, 2017, 12:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jknight7

Just bought a used but like new condition Limited availability Sx3 in bottomlands for a pretty good price! It came with a Carlsons Longbeard Xr .665 choke and also a new style Jellyhead .670. I will be shooting 3 inch Longbeard xr #6's Long story short anyone have experience with these guns and chokes? Which constriction will work best? Looking for a good hunting pattern out to 50 yards but likely to make most shots within 35 yards. Haven't shot it yet but I ABSOLUTELY love this gun the fit and feel is great and also super light!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Jknight7 on May 22, 2017, 12:24:35 PM
Just bought a used but like new condition Limited availability Sx3 in bottomlands for a pretty good price! It came with a Carlsons Longbeard Xr .665 choke and also a new style Jellyhead .670. I will be shooting 3 inch Longbeard xr #6's Long story short anyone have experience with these guns and chokes? Which constriction will work best? Looking for a good hunting pattern out to 50 yards but likely to make most shots within 35 yards. Haven't shot it yet but I ABSOLUTELY love this gun the fit and feel is great and also super light!!!
Congratulations. I have one and it's a great gun. With the WLB #6 shot, the best choke I've found is the JEB'S .650  It produces dense/even patterns with no large gaps. https://allaboutshooting.com/products/jebs-12-gauge-turkey-choke-rem-choke

It is important to "deep clean" the bore of that gun https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel Then you'll be ready to go.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

try what chokes you have.  They are good chokes.  If that dont give you the pattern you looking for then change.  We run 670 to 680.  The gun has a bigger back bore so it dont like to be choked small. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Jknight7

Thanks guys!! Especially you Williams my Mossberg Sa-20 shoots like a dream with your choke!! I'll clean the barrel really well and try both chokes with #6's

lunghit

Love my SX3. I am going to try a .680 with Hevi shot and hope for a better pattern than what the .665 and .675 have given me. Both were easily able to kill out to 40 yards but I am looking for a little tighter with less gaps.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"