OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1st bird with my 28ga

Started by Sand Man, May 12, 2017, 10:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

After seeing the performance of my 20ga with TSS and taking a slam with it, I set off to build a 28ga and the goal was to try for a slam with it as well.  The build started from a Remington 870 with a fixed modified barrel.  I have to say I wasn't really impressed with the results of 1 1/2oz of 9.5s at 40 yards.  However, when comparing 350-400 hits in a 10" circle from the 20ga it's hard not to be a little disappointed with a fix modified barrel.  In other words, it's more than adequate but still made me hesitant to shoot a bird at that range.  Prime example a week ago today in Oklahoma a buddy and I called a longbeard across a large hay field.  I watched that bird walk from over 200 yards across the field to us.  He got to about 40 yards and just wouldn't come closer.  I was hesitant I would wound the bird and would not take the shot, so my buddy smoked him with his 20ga.

Fast forward to yesterday.  I was carrying my 28ga, but trying to help a buddy get his 1st bird of the season.  As luck would have it the two nice birds came in from my side and directly opposite of how I thought the birds would approach our set up.  I had already told my buddy if birds did in fact come from my side I was going to let them walk past me and for him to kill one.  There was ton of brush between the birds and I when I saw them and had a pretty good distance to clear the brush for a clean shot for me.  Well as they are working their way in he makes a rookie mistake of moving a little too much.  CLUCK!  The gig was up and the birds were just about to get out of dodge when I picked a hole thru the thick stuff and let the 28ga eat.  I have to say I'm impressed.  It's a HAMMER at 22 yards.  Not my biggest, but a nice bird for my 1st with the 28ga.............16 pounds, 10.25" beard, and 1" spurs.  Looks like the 20ga might sit in the safe for a while now.  :you_rock:

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

kwild835

Awesome! Congrats on the 28 ga bird....wish people would quit talking about them lol.

Bowguy

Congrats, 28s are all I use but they're illegal here for Turks. Great gauge, great bird

tha bugman