turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

He ain't pretty

Started by Bagg-it Tag-it, April 12, 2011, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagg-it Tag-it

I haven't been active on OG since the site was updated and just got on here recently again. Good to see old faces having success and new ones as well. Our season started 10 days ago or so and I haven't been able to go much. But today I had to get out there. It rained like crazy last night and all the way to my spot this morning. I haven't even been to this farm this year but I went to where they generally gobble on the roost. It is at an intersection of a fencerow, two pieces of a couple of fields and woods on a couple sides too--where it all comes together you might say. Heard quite a bit of gobbling on the roost so I sat down in the fencerow under a big cedar tree. Most of the gobblers flew the opposite direction off the roost (as usual) but just as I was about to move to another spot--I heard a gobble right over the ridge a few hundred yards away. I did a little light cutting. A few minutes later, I saw hens running along the top of the ridge on my side but invisible to the other side where he was. In a minute or two he came over the edge of the ridge of the field and lo and behold--his little girlfriends were no place to be seen. He looked confused. I cutt at him quick and shut up. He ran to me. He thought that his girls had made a dash away from him and he wanted back in the game. In the middle of the field at 80 yards he hung up and spun in a circle gobbling to the cardinal directions for 10 minutes or so. I knew not to make a peep. Finally he got bored and walked off in the opposite direction. I had him where I wanted him. He got three steps and I cutt back at him and shut up real quick. It was all he could take. He doubletimed it to me and blew out in strut at 40 yards. He was getting antsy at not seeing anything though and so I decided it was now or never and let 'er go. The Hevi 13 did its job at 7:15 am. He weighed 18 lbs, 9" beard and 7/8" spurs with a nubbin of a double spur. (nothing to write home about it was a nub of a nubbin). Nice two year old.

turkey slayer

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Basser69

bowhunter84

hobbes

Congrats!  He looks good to me. 

Maybe useless info, but if your wanting to keep the fan, just wash it in dawn dish detergent, rinse several times in cool water until all of the soap is gone, and take a blow dryer on cool setting to it drying each feather one at a time until they are completely dry and opened back up.  Then use your fingers to bring any splits back together.

Bagg-it Tag-it

That is great info. I'll file it away. I did not keep it. I've got a bunch and nowhere to keep any new ones.

JVA54

harvester

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BOFF

Nice Bird!!

Congrats!!

God Bless,
David B.

Trip

Congrats on a nice bird!!

RutnNStrutn

That'll work!! Congrats!!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

cannonball