OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:03:12 PM »
I recently ordered a hand jig from Thad and a bunch of supplies from Pioneer.  Won't be long and I will be making my own calls. Anyone have any advice for someone who is new at it? Tips, tricks, or do's and don'ts?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 11:39:07 PM »
Based on my own call making experience, I would recommend sticking with .004 or thinner materials (.003/.0025-proph, etc.) and start out making two or three reed calls based on the standard designs you see on the market. 

If you are making calls for yourself, learn to go through a standard cut procedure, starting out with single cuts (long reed only) and working through the various cut types off of that.  A standard progression of cuts would be a single angle cut, then a V-cut, a modified V (cutting ends off of tabs), then a combo cut (remove one side tab), bat cut (remove both side tabs),...or remove the center tab (on a V-cut) for a ghost cut. 

If you are making calls for others, leave the reeds uncut and let them learn to go through the cut progression themselves. 

Other general info:
Very small changes in the cuts in the sound reed can greatly affect the call sound.  When making cuts, make small cuts first and deepen if needed to improve sound. 

Don't cut the secondary reeds unless you just can't get the right sound after going through the cut progression, and if you do end up cutting the secondary reeds at all, make very fine nicks in the reeds (large cuts in the secondary reeds will almost always deaden a call)

The deeper the cuts you make in a call, the lower the tone and the raspier the call will sound, in general (varies to a degree based on the initial stretch you put in the reeds)

Shaving the long reed laterally (along the edge) can sometimes improve the sound when all else fails. 

...Just a few thoughts....

Offline Daddy rat

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
Keep notes on call you build,even the bad ones. Pick a cut you like and make it till you find latex and stretch  combo you like.   You will burn up some supplies learning and for me, I  went to bass pro bought scissors in fly fishing   $15 to $20 but worth every penny

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 01:10:15 AM »
One thing I also did was literally read every single post in every thread in this section. There probably aren't too many questions that you or I could have that haven't been asked already and answered by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:02:07 AM »
Get good pliers & sharp scissors. Mike

Offline Rkeifer

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 11:09:28 PM »
I did the same thing a few years ago.  The best advice I can give is not to stretch too tight.  Some individuals on this board gave me that advice and it really helped me.  Currently I am only doing two complete turns on the jig with a .004 top reed and to .003 bottom reeds.  I know a lot of guys stretch much tighter, but that is what works for me.  Good luck!