OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alps OutdoorZ Little Bear pack **UPDATED**

Started by SteelerFan, May 03, 2017, 06:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Looking at a vest alternative. I'm hunting out of the alps chair, so a cushion isn't necessary. I was just looking for a system to transport gear, and take it off when I set up. The Alps little bear pack with turkey call accessory pouch looks to fit that?

On sale at Amazon - I can get it the system for about $60 -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00359024W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062LCG44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ss4ezb81C89W8

Curious if anyone has any experience with this?

shedhunta

That looks slick.  I am very happy with the quality of my Alpz grand slam best so far.  They seem to make a decent product. 

SteelerFan

I'll let you know. I figure, worse case scenario if it doesn't work out - I'll have a pack for hanging stands, trail cams, scouting.

tha bugman

Good deal.  I bet it will suit your needs perfectly.

neal

Thats a good deal, their products are very well built. I had a little issue with my vest and their customer service is top notch!!! Looking forward to using more of their products!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

SteelerFan

I've hunted with this rig 3 days now...

Overall -  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Pack is well made, and seems durable. The turkey call accessory pouch is great. I wanted a vest alternative, something that I planned on taking off when I set up on a bird. Using a lounger, I didn't need a cushion... and I thought for maximum comfort, I didn't need to be wearing the vest while in the chair.

Since it's a fanny pack with a shoulder harness, the weight is evenly distributed - and with the waist belt, it helps keep extra weight off your shoulders.

Included with the turkey call accessory pouch is a "game bag" that buckles onto the back if you want it. It would easily haul a couple of decoys if necessary, and if you don't need or want the decoys you can just leave it off.

The fanny pack itself has two compartments. The larger one holds all the "extras" you may need: Thermacell, facemask, gloves, clippers, CaptainHooks turkey tote, license, paper essentials, water bottle, etc. (It has a separate water bottle holder on the outside of the belt if you prefer)

On the belt, it has two small zippered side pockets. I used one to carry ammo, and the other for all call conditioning items.

The call pouches attach to the front. They are not bulky or in the way. One side will hold a box call and a locator call, and has two small pockets for mouth call cases - and the other side has two built in pot call pouches (with room for 1 more loose in the bottom) and elastic striker holders. I easily carried three pots and 1/2 doz strikers.

Another bonus, when attaching the front pouches, you can thread a strap through the belt loop of a long box holster.

A backpack would accomplish much the same, but in my opinion, this helps keep things a little more organized. Also, if you're cruising and "prospecting" for a cooperative bird - the call pouches are at your finger tips and easily accessible while on the move.

crenshawco

So are the turkey call pouches something you have to buy separately? I didn't see them in that link you posted

SteelerFan

Quote from: crenshawco on May 10, 2017, 05:04:37 PM
So are the turkey call pouches something you have to buy separately? I didn't see them in that link you posted

Yes. They make a bino pouch, camera pouch, or turkey call pouch

ALPS OutdoorZ Turkey Call Pockets & Game Bag-Realtree Xtra

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0062LCG44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ss4ezb81C89W8

On sale, you can get both for @ $60

Here is their promo video:

https://youtu.be/stXNJegwaS0

crenshawco

Gotcha. I did see Midway had their Long Spur vest on sale for 79.99. It looks like the exact vest you posted but in obsession.

Another question, are the two call pockets in the way or do the restrict mobility when walking and moving around? It seems like it might be awkward having them that high up on your chest, but I'm just used to a traditional vest

FL-Boss

I went on a quest this year to find the perfect minimalist vest. Been using Ol Tom, but they are weak, and will fall apart quickly.  Anyway,  I tried a many different vests, the Long Spur vest was one of them.  I think it's basically the Little Bear pack with the added turkey pockets up front.

My take, the vest has a lot of straps going every which way, and is confusing to put on quickly. The front pockets stick way out and make the vest seems actually bulky (to me)  No seat bottom.. which wasn't a huge deal for me as I use a chair most the time. But I do like the option of attaching a seat for run & gun situations.

All the alps vest are built well and strong.. like the Cabela's vests.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up with a Cabela's Tat'r 2 ... not the most "minimalist vest" but built real well and great layout.  They are on sale right now as well.

SteelerFan

Quote from: crenshawco on May 10, 2017, 09:36:44 PM
Gotcha. I did see Midway had their Long Spur vest on sale for 79.99. It looks like the exact vest you posted but in obsession.

Another question, are the two call pockets in the way or do the restrict mobility when walking and moving around? It seems like it might be awkward having them that high up on your chest, but I'm just used to a traditional vest

The pouches / call pockets look like they are a bulky item... but to me, they seemed non-existent when strapped on. They function like a chest strap of a backpack or vest. I adjusted them to ride close, but not too tight, and did not notice any interference while walking. I probably put 5 or 6 miles on them, in the few days I've worn it.