turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey blinds for run and gun...

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, April 28, 2017, 12:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

There really is no field hunting in my area (but I do hunt some open pastures).

Running & gunning to me, is covering some ground and trying to elicit a response, and then hunting that bird when you get one.  Depending on how close the response is, I will either set up, or move to a more strategic location...

One thing I would NOT do while running & gunning is to move across or into a large open area (such as a field).

Running & gunning in my area involves finding and setting up on a bird as quickly, efficiently, and quietly as possible...  Which for me, precludes the use of a blind or decoys, or setting up in a large open area.  In locating the bird, you have almost certainly gained his attention, and if he does what you hope (i.e. move towards you), moving into an open field and all the commotion of setting up a blind and decoys would likely work against you...

That is not to say that after a slow morning, quietly moving into a different field and setting up with a blind would not work...  But that is not running & gunning.

As to the blind itself, it does look interesting...  I have been taking my oldest daughter the last two years, and I set her up in a ground blind (with some effort), and this blind looks like it could work a bit easier...  The idea appeals to me even more, now that my younger daughter is asking to go...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

shaman

Run 'n Gun is not my favorite technique.  However, I carry a 4X6' piece of die-cut camo to throw up if I've got a situation that requires it.  The key is that it has a cord all the way around the perimeter.  That makes it easy to put up between two bushes.  I've found that sometimes there just isn't the right kind of big tree at the right place to do a proper set-up.  This little piece of camo really improves the odds.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

chasinbirds

I bought a Primos portable blind.  Its light, fairly compact, and quick to deploy. Only downside is that the material is not the strongest, but it works.  I use it primarily when my 10 year old daughter is with me.  We can move around without the burden of placing a pop up.

rcleofly

I have a Mad Max Blind with the built in shooting stick. Takes about 10 seconds to setup. Weighs nothing. No extra poles or anything. If your going to use one, it's hard to go wrong using the Mad Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckmark13

I'm not sure of the brand I have, but it's 4 sections of camo material with holes / flaps in it so the wind blows through easily. It has tent type poles with shock cords that allows the poles to quickly fold in half for carrying. When you get to your spot just open up the poles, push each into the ground in front of you, and your set. It forms a 2' high barrier in front if you and is a breeze to put up and quickly take down and relo if needed. Add a few twigs leaning in front of it and you're never there!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stinkpickle

I don't even know what brand my stake out blind is.  I had an H.S. model with folding rods, but they got brittle and would break when hunting on cold fall mornings.  My current one uses single fiberglass poles with clips to adjust the height of the fabric.  It's super light, quick and easy to set up, and fits in my game pouch.

Extendo Clip

Quote from: chasinbirds on March 04, 2018, 09:26:18 AM
I bought a Primos portable blind.  Its light, fairly compact, and quick to deploy. Only downside is that the material is not the strongest, but it works.  I use it primarily when my 10 year old daughter is with me.  We can move around without the burden of placing a pop up.

I shot my first turkey with one of these, stuck my barrel through the die-cut holes. Its nice and easy to set up and super light; I roll it up and strap it on the side of my backpack  and it never gets in the way.

KeyDett

Quote from: Sevenyearsandcounting on April 28, 2017, 12:12:09 PM
There's a $24.99 fan blind at field and stream and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Seems a reasonable price and seeing as birds love the fields maybe a good investment.

It's the blind with the gun rest built in. Has anyone used one? And did you have any succes?
I bought one of these for when I take my daughter hunting. I think it is great, really lightweight, easy to set up, and a dependable rest. The only 2 negatives are 1. I don't care for the material it is made of because it can be noisy and 2. I hate putting it back in its carry bag. To me those light things were easy to deal with so when my daughter goes I carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renegade19

Quote from: southern_leo on January 27, 2018, 04:20:15 PM
I run and gun and never use a blind. I try to carry as little as needed. If I'm gonna park my rear on a field I'll bring my pop up dog house blind

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Me too.  Little different blind, but same thoughts.

mpgavin1987

MK M GOBL

If you are talking a "true" Run & Gun hunt then I really don't carry nothing more than my Badland Hip Pack, my turkey seat and shotgun... That's the game at the time. Now that's not to say I haven't used a Blind (my Double Bull T2) and a DSD 3/4 Strut Jake and Upright Hen and have killed a pile of birds doing it, you just have to allow for it. I hunt some broken hardwoods with a mix of farm/pasture ground that is ridge & valley country on the Mississippi River.

All just tools in the shed

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

Run-N-Gun and blind are a bit of an oxymoron. If your moving a lot to find a gobbler that's willing to work your not going to want to drag a blind around. And when you do strike a Gobbler and he's 60 yards from you when he answered you ain't got time for any kind of blind.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

BennieGobbler

Run n' Gun light gear is name of the game....Sit still with good camo and you should be fine!
Print by Madison, on Flickr