OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can you cut a barrel and tap it?

Started by Mossberg90MN, April 23, 2020, 04:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

I have a Stoeger M3020 that I would like to use for turkey hunting. The barrel is just a little too long for my preference and I would like to get it cut to maybe 24" I think it's 26" now...

Anyone know if it's possible to get the barrel cut and then tapped for a choke?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sswv

just about any gunsmith can cut and thread a shotgun barrel.  it's actually a pretty simple procedure. 

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: sswv on April 23, 2020, 05:09:25 PM
just about any gunsmith can cut and thread a shotgun barrel.  it's actually a pretty simple procedure.
Oh awesome, I'm gonna call around. I would like to get it cut down to 24"

brobi9

Don't be afraid to go shorter. My 3020 has an 18.5" barrel and patterns great

DaMitch

Great care must be taken when threading the barrel for choke install.  Thread cut has to be spot on as in straight so you do not have a off-set in the choke.  Lots of good gunsmiths around who take great care in the set up of the barrel for the work.

BINK McCARTY

Look up Mike Orlen that's the name that keeps coming up when I researched it. I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. 26" Stoeger M3020 and wanting a 24" or even 22". But,from what I've been told after you cut the barrel down you will most likely have to go with Rem-choke or Tru-choke. I've been told it cant be re-threaded with the Mobil threads. I called Stoeger and they told me their parts distributor (Midwest Gun Works) has a 24" bbl. MPN#33838 for the M3020 they just don't know when it will be in.

eggshell

I have had two shotguns cut down and choke tubes installed. Be sure and choose a good quality gunsmith. I just recently had an old classic O/U repaired and cleaned at Alhmans Guns in Minnesota and was very pleased with the work. They actually custom made my parts as it was a Spanish made gun no longer in production. 

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: eggshell on April 26, 2020, 06:51:10 AM
I have had two shotguns cut down and choke tubes installed. Be sure and choose a good quality gunsmith. I just recently had an old classic O/U repaired and cleaned at Alhmans Guns in Minnesota and was very pleased with the work. They actually custom made my parts as it was a Spanish made gun no longer in production.
I've heard great things about Alhmans but never been.

Do you think they're up for the job?

I'm gonna give them a call soon.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on April 26, 2020, 04:18:48 AM
Look up Mike Orlen that's the name that keeps coming up when I researched it. I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. 26" Stoeger M3020 and wanting a 24" or even 22". But,from what I've been told after you cut the barrel down you will most likely have to go with Rem-choke or Tru-choke. I've been told it cant be re-threaded with the Mobil threads. I called Stoeger and they told me their parts distributor (Midwest Gun Works) has a 24" bbl. MPN#33838 for the M3020 they just don't know when it will be in.
Good to know... I'll keep an eye out for the other barrel.

eggshell

I've heard great things about Alhmans but never been.

Do you think they're up for the job?

I'm gonna give them a call soon.

[/quote]

I am sure they are more than capable of doing it. I dealt with Bob in gunsmithing and he was very informative and told me exactly what they'd do. The gun was returned to me repaired, tested and on time. They have some pricing on the website, but custom work isn't listed. I would have them do work again. Brownells gun tech refereed me to them. I think it would be a simple job for them.

Liljake

If this gun is going to be your go to gun to hunt turkeys, I suggest having it cut to 22" or even 20".
  Most turkey choke tubes add 3/4 - 1 3/4" to overall barrel length.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Liljake on April 26, 2020, 05:28:47 PM
If this gun is going to be your go to gun to hunt turkeys, I suggest having it cut to 22" or even 20".
  Most turkey choke tubes add 3/4 - 1 3/4" to overall barrel length.
Yea it will be a dedicated turkey gun. Still like my Mossberg 835. But the Stoeger weighs less. Gonna switch off.