OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mill marks on Leopardwood?

Started by Disney, April 08, 2017, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney

I've had several issues with this Leopardwood pot when I received it. Now I'm trying to get rid of what looks like mill marks to me. They occur in three places  several in a series. Or are these common markings? I've sanded for hours by hand. Should I attach it to a drill? I did that in the beginning and it created a sawdust friction-like glaze. The wood is like formica. No problems with the bottom
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Disney

I dont think there are any issues with the bottom.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Longbeardfever4ever

Looks like grain tear out to me...it is caused by not sharp enough tools followed by not enough sanding.  You would need a higher speed (not too high as it will heat up) with something like 80-100 grit to take it out.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Disney

Thankyou. When I first started this, I tried 80 grit but was told never, ever use grit that coarse. I don't think the person understood what I was going through with it. It came from Shipley's that way. It's really smooth but I think I have to go deeper to get rid of it, which 80 or 100 grit would do. You backed up my instincts. I have it on hold now as I am working on domestic wood pots for special people. Thanks
timbertunes126@gmail.com