turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best choke for Mossberg 835

Started by Thunderchicken835, April 06, 2017, 01:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunderchicken835

I'm wondering what the best choke is for a Mossberg 835. Currently am using a primos jellyhead shooting Winchester longbeard xr 6 shot. Pattern is not the best. Debating on buying a JEBS, sumtoy custom, or a Indian Creek choke. Would like to see pics of patterns with these shells and them combos.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wcerin

I use a Star Dot .676 . Patterns very well with Longbeard XR 3" #6.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

devin4484

Stardot seems to be the best by opinion on here, but all 3 835's I have had, liked a kicks .670 by far. Didn't matter if it was 3" or 3.5" loads.

bbcoach

The 835 shoots most shells really well with chokes in the .670 to .680 range.  Some of these are Pure Gold, Indian Creek, SSX, Sumtoy and Stardot.

Thunderchicken835

Thanks for the advice. My gun patterns high too so it could be my choke. I'm just getting tired of messing with it. I've shot every shell besides hevi shot Magnum blend and have found the longbeard xrs shoot the best

Tennessee Lead

The Carlson Longbeard choke does well in mine. I've shot the 6 shot Longbeards with great patterns.

I've got 2 Star Dot chokes and I'm currently using one. I've got a brand new one that has never been fired I'm going to shoot and see how it does compared to the Star Dot I'm using now.
One has straight lines on the end and the other has a knurled end.
I've also got 3 GT chokes. .660, .675 & a .695.
The .660 and .675 do well with Longbeards.
My Dad has the .675 IC and it does great with the Longbeards.
He also has a Rhino .680 that does awfully well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunderchicken835

I talked to one of the Indian creeks pro staff at the NRA great outdoors show in Harrisburg PA and I regret not buying one there. They had 1 left and was going to sell it to me for $65. I should of bought it lol.

bbcoach

Quote from: Thunderchicken835 on April 06, 2017, 07:35:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. My gun patterns high too so it could be my choke. I'm just getting tired of messing with it. I've shot every shell besides hevi shot Magnum blend and have found the longbeard xrs shoot the best
Sounds like you have a POA/POI issue not a shell or choke problem, as I did with my 835.  My 835 shot low and right so I added a Red dot, problem solved.  There are adjustable sights available as well (Williams).

compton30

Slap a Vortex Venom on top of that thing and be done with it

possum#1

I shot good patterns with the LB 5 and 6's out of a Sumtoy. I only shot the 3" shells never tried the 3.5".

trkehunr93

When I was shooting Hevi 13 I got decent patterns with 7's out of a Jellyhead but then I got my hands on a stardot and haven't looked back.  I used to shoot a Briley in .675 with the old white hevi 13 6's and it was a solid set up.  Not sure if Briley is still in the turkey choke market though.  Some guys have had good luck with Pure Gold and Indian Creek as well.

TrackeySauresRex

The 835 and JH with Mag Blend is like peanut butter and Jelly.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."