OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

what useful gadgets do you put in the vest?

Started by Disney, April 06, 2017, 07:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney

What kind of useful gadgets or homemade things do you take along with you hunting? I'm not talking about extra strikers or different Calls or GPS or binoculars. Alot of us already do that.
My little thing is that I save small plastic or metal containers with lids. The kind that mints or candy come in, like Altoids. Then I cut up an assortment of different grit sandpaper in small squares, add a couple scuff pads and a few rubber bands. It's great help when you must touch up your calls and strikers. But it comes in handy when you see another turkey hunter and he needs sandpaper. I'll give him a piece to help him out. He'll remember you for that little piece of cheap sandpaper. Several times I ran into the same person in the woods and discovered I made a friend. We would talk and plan strategies so not to interfere with each other.
What do you take along?
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

MK M GOBL

I always have a bag for Morels, zip ties, bought a little tripod for my cellphone so I can take pictures after a kill and of course a "knife" my Leatherman. I always seem to custom stuff to my use.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

I use chew cans with a sponge soaked in non alcohol mouthwash to hold a few mouth calls. much nicer to pop in a fresh call in your mouth over one that tastes like yesterdays coffee
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CMBOSTC

I can't be in the woods without a couple zip lock bags for cell phone and wallet.

Tom Foolery

I carry a Leatherman Hunters Pruner.  Very handy with a set of jaws for pruning, limb saw and a knife blade.

Tennessee Lead

Remington Turkey Hunter pocket knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

I just can't be without my ziplock bag of "baby wipes".
When a certain thing needs attended to, I'm so happy to have them.
:newmascot:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Compass, topo map's, multi tool, zip ties, ziplock bags, fire starter, small signal mirror, water bottle, replacement fiber optic rod, homemade turkey tote, cheep blaze orange vest to wrap bird in for the hike back to the truck. 

Candyman

Small pill bottle with extra latex and rubber bands for my tube calls. Plastic bag the paper comes in to put over the gobblers head. Keeps blood out of my vest or off my pants. 2 big plastic garbage bags to help crossing creeks. Used one yesterday.

wisconsinteacher

I have a few bread bags in my vest and when I get lucky enough to get a bird, I put one over his head then my turkey tote make out of para cord and carry him out of the woods.  No blood or mess on me, my gear or the back of the truck. 

TauntoHawk

coffee.... Don't go into the woods without it

Dawn cracking, birds gobbling, waiting for fly down... that's the best cup of joe a guy can have
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ontario_caller

Chew tins have various uses mouth calls, sandpaper , chalk etc. plastic folding card carrier one side has my hunting license, the other my tags stays in a secure zippered vest pocket all season. One less thing to think about.
A length of cord or twine has a million uses. Especially tying on a tag.
Lastly I never go in the woods without a thermacell, extra fuel and extra repellent cards.
There He IS !

Sixes

Round containers that Scotch electrical tape comes in make for good mouth call holders and scotchbrite, chalk, etc holders.

Also, plastic pipe cutters, they are very handy for trimming limbs and briars

Wet wipes might be the most important, lots of uses for them

Rzrbac

A boonie hat for flydowns and mock fights.

blackmagic

I bring a portable charger and charging cord.  I use my iPhone as a GPS and like to know that I've got the capabilities to have a freshly charged phone in emergencies.