OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call Shy?

Started by guesswho, February 10, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Shootem's overcalling thread got me to thinking.  Is there such a thing as a call shy bird, or is it just another excuse like henned up?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Flydown

Quote from: guesswho on February 10, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
Shootem's overcalling thread got me to thinking.  Is there such a thing as a call shy bird, or is it just another excuse liked henned up?

Myth.

CASH

Another excuse.  "Call smart" maybe. Guess that's an excuse to.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Flydown

Quote from: CASH on February 10, 2011, 05:59:43 PM

More like People shy.

CASH

Quote from: Flydown on February 10, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

More like People shy.

Yeah, that's a better way to put it.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Sherrell

OLE RASPY

Quote from: guesswho on February 10, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
Shootem's overcalling thread got me to thinking.  Is there such a thing as a call shy bird, or is it just another excuse like henned up?
I heard people say that bird is call shy and when i was just starting out turkey hunting i believed it but i beg to differ anymore.Its henned up like u said. :newmascot:

VAHUNTER

if the caller sounds like a hen the Gobbler does not think "is this a hen or a person trying to sound like a hen" they dont have the brain to figure things like that. but i do believe if a bird is fooled with enough he will not go to any call human or turkey. i also believe that henned up birds get the title of call shy
Good things come to those who wait

stinkpickle

He's just not desperate.  He wants the hen (or whatever is making the hen sound) to come to him.  That's all.  If he knew it was a person making the sound, he'd be more evasive than just hanging up and casually wandering off.

Gobble!

If I was a boss gobbler I would be call shy
They know the hens just want some so I would walk out there a gobble till they all came to me.

So I wouldn't say there call shy they are just too good to go to the hen lol.

timbrhuntr

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 10, 2011, 06:40:31 PM
He's just not desperate.  He wants the hen (or whatever is making the hen sound) to come to him.  That's all.  If he knew it was a person making the sound, he'd be more evasive than just hanging up and casually wandering off.

I believe this more like it. Last year for one example.I chased one on a piece of property that only I have access to, so no hunter pressure other than me. Early in the season when the hens were around he wouldn't come to anything unless he saw a hen but he was usually with them. I finally caught him late in the season alone and I couldn't call to him enough and he sure wasn't shy.

knightrider

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 10, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
if the caller sounds like a hen the Gobbler does not think "is this a hen or a person trying to sound like a hen" they dont have the brain to figure things like that. but i do believe if a bird is fooled with enough he will not go to any call human or turkey. i also believe that henned up birds get the title of call shy
well said, ilove when people say  that turkey is doing this or that to me  :TooFunny: turkeys are just doing what turkeys do, you can either figure them out and kill them or you cant :cross2:

savduck

Georgia Boy

Timber Chicken

shootumindaface

Quote from: CASH on February 10, 2011, 06:01:39 PM
Quote from: Flydown on February 10, 2011, 06:00:43 PM

More like People shy.

Yeah, that's a better way to put it.
Ill go a step further and say "predator shy" I hunt a piece that is chock full of yotes.. You cant walk on this place without hearing or seeing a yote and the birds are quiet.. The place receives no more pressure than elsewhere I hunt..

I agree with above if you sound like a turkey their is no such thing as a call shy turkey.. Turkeys communicate 12 months a year and we step in there world 30-45 days a year..