OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Undecided

Started by Rzrbac, April 01, 2017, 10:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I think I've read every post concerning scopes and sights on this forum and I am still undecided.

I'm shooting a SBE2 with pistol grip and have been for years. I have Williams Firesights and I put them on the day I bought the gun. Only problem I've ever had with them is the rear sight screws coming loose a couple of times. That's a fairly easy and fix and easy enough to overcome in the field.

I was originally thinking a FF3 but I've seen enough reviews of things going wrong to really make me hesitate. I have a buddy who recommended a Sightmark, they too have issues.  My only real experience with an electronic type sight was an Aimpoint CCO mounted on a M4. We issued hundreds of them for a deployment and no failures but they are much more than I'm going to pay for a sight.

That got me to looking at scopes.  I believe they are much more dependable than a red dot for a lot less money.  I see some people who have gotten bit by them though.  At this point, I should say I've got a few rifles with quite  bit of recoil. I have never had an issue with recoil and I can't see how that would happen on my SBE2, but I won't say it can't. Now my other concern is tracking a gobbler head through a scope and having to look out of the scope to adjust. Seems like that movement could get me busted. 

I usually pop up a shooting stick and barely grip the forearm when I'm shooting a gobbler.  My current setup serves me well, it's been a long time since I've missed it it had happened.  I blame that on peeking when I am having a hard time seeing a head in a little vegetation.

I'm thinking I want to try a Bushenll scope with 6" eye relief but I don't recall ever using a scope with that much eye relief.  For the guys who use them, can you track a gobbler inside 35 yards easy enough with your scope?

beagler

I'm a big fan of the Aimpoint 9000sc red dot scopes. I have one on my Sbe2 and one on my Mossberg 835. Pretty much bulletproof.
Never Misses

CrustyRusty

We all know eye relief can be an issue with scopes.  Having more is fine but all shots aren't the same and sometimes your position and awkward angles and shots can dictate where your eye may fall on the stock. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you have an expensive gun and I recommend that you don't cheap out on the optic.   Aim point has a new sight that clamps to the rib and should sit nice and low. The micros and even the 9000SC as recommended are great options.  The 9000 is reasonably priced as far as aimpoints go.

I've tried about every optic known to man on my sbe2 and always go back to an aimpoint.  Good luck

saverx

Check out the Primary Arms advanced micro dot. Do some online research on it. I have had one for over a year. Took it off an AR and put it on my turkey gun. Ive shot about 3 boxes of longbeards thru it so far no issues. Top notch budget optic in my opinion. Good luck.

Rzrbac

Okay, I made up my mind sort of.  Made an impulse buy and bought a Bushnell scope today. Didn't really plan on it but I took the wife shopping and stopped in a gun shop that actually had a rail, good rings and the scope to fit my SBE2.  I'm gonna get it dialed in next week and see what I think. If I don't like, I've got a rail on my gun for something else and I'm not out a lot.  If I do like it, figure I can upgrade the scope.

If I should go with something electronic, it won't be cheap.  I'm pretty much set on Aimpoint like issued by the Army.  I know those can take a beating and still hold a pretty good zero.  I appreciate the advice, not many years ago I laughed at optics on a shotgun for turkey hunting.  Now I've got more ideas kind of opened up mind to different setups.  Same way with calls, this forum is expensive!