turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your favorite pick for 2017

Started by SteelerFan, March 29, 2017, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Just for the heck of it... kind of like asking which child is your favorite, BUT:

2017 season is upon us (here, soon, or coming up). All of your pot calls are on the table, along with all of your strikers. This isn't a top 10 list, and this isn't the "if you only had one call" scenario. You'll most likely be carrying a vest full or pocket full of assorted calls. This is just - "what is your current favorite pot call combination for this season". Could be same as always, or could be a new one.

You pick 1 combo... What & Why

What: Hanks Zebrawood Bronzed Glass over aluminum & Lyman Black & White Ebony striker

Why: Pretty sure a blindfolded monkey could make it sound like a turkey - it plays that easily. To my ear, this combo has the right amount of rasp, excellent back-end and insane front if you want it. Has a nice "full" sound, good clucks and can also kee-kee easily if wanted. It's just an all around great call.

wcerin

My Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen slate with a Harold Fowler one piece Ipe striker.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

scoot12

Eddie Wynne persimmon slate call with his persimmon striker.  I had heard Eddie builds a killer slate so I took the plunge and asked him what he recommends.  He told me he has been building this slate for 15 years and its his go to call.  When I received mine I was like man this is good and believe me,  I own a lot of slate calls.  It rolls over so easy with little ovals and you can really get on it and get that rasp on the back end if you want.  It has a little deeper tone to it but I am starting to love that sound myself.  Has some of the best clucks and purrs for even a slate call also.  This slate call and my Platz slate are my two favorites.  By the way the craftsmanship is great also.  Scoot

vt35mag

I haven't received all of my 2017 calls yet, but as of right now I am with Steelerfan. 

OHturkey85

It's hard to pick one but Jimmy Schaffer's sapele double aluminum with a fowler two piece ipe has grown on me it plays super easy and has a lively (nasty) yelp to it.

Cwcook68

I have that same call from Hanks, it's a sweet sounding call and easy to run. My new favorite!!!!

Bowguy

Id have to pick one of Schafers aluminums. They've been good to me. Got a Dustin Jones aluminum  that I love but it's not yet tested

Matt / PA

My 3.5" Sinclair Titanium over slate in Kingwood quickly got my attention!  Likes just about every striker I throw at it, but probably a Cox Tulipwood or dymondwood 1 piece.   Lots of rasp and a great break over plays soft to ear splitting.
Been playing it every night (to my wife's delight  :angel9:)  I think I heard a gobbler pecking on my basement window.
Working on every subtle hand change and surface placement to bring it out guns blazing on opening day. It's an impressive call.

Jbird22

Doug Morgan Yellowheart Slate with Harold Fowler Pacific Dogwood striker is my current favorite combo. 

MikeStaten

Lon Trice Anodized Aluminum over Aluminum in Acrylic pot with his original two-piece dymondwood striker. 

Bowhuntr73

Whatever combo your going to use the first day to call one in for me- Steelerfan!! :icon_thumright:

dejake

crystal mistress with a stuckey tulipwood striker.  Unless it's raining.

beakbuster10

I was planning on the hanks Osage Goulds coming out of my vest first, but the more I play with my halloran sugartown sweetness, the more I favor it. Paired with a fowler snakewood it's a match made in heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clardh

WHAT:Scott Hock's white oak slate over slate. I have two of them and just missed out on another (ebay). Running it with a Lyman Dymalux and/or Torman tulipwood.

WHY: Best sounding pot call I have run to date. Superior sound. It is effortless to play and if I were to loose my striker, I gaurentee I could find a bone or twig that would work on it!

KYFrid

Steve Reeves Strut Buster with a Lyman snake wood striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk