turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 SM & 3" LB #6

Started by coonhunter, May 01, 2017, 08:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coonhunter

I decided to pick up a box of the 3" LB #6 and give them a try.  I have shot the 3 1/2" for a couple of years with great results.  With the 3 1/2" 2 oz #6 I was getting 225 in the 10 at 40 yards with my IC .665 choke.  So i shot the 3" 1 3/4 oz yesterday with a dirty barrel.  At 40 yards I got 212 in the 10" and 196 in the 10".  The biggest difference I see in the pattern is the 20" is not as well covered.  Never the less I'm going back to 3" shells not worth the added punishment for
a dozen or so more pellets.  I know i could maybe choke it down more and get higher numbers but this is good enough for me!  I may try the 1 7/8 oz load if i can get a box just for giggles.

Joshua 24:15

renegade19

looks good.  Same loads I shoot.

TJK68

dannyrob14

awesome pattern! , I am gonna use these in my 870 w a hevi .662

dutch@fx4

I am shooting the same load. Do you find thy pattern better with a open choke.i am using the factory Remington extra full turkey choke

tha bugman

coonhunter

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on May 14, 2017, 03:26:51 PM
I am shooting the same load. Do you find thy pattern better with a open choke.i am using the factory Remington extra full turkey choke

Depends on what you mean by better?  They seem to be a little more open with more open choke (naturally). This is thru a .665 which I feel is about right for me. With this shell I think you could go from .650 to .670 and still have killing patterns at 40 yards.
Joshua 24:15