Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pots-are they worth having one?

Started by upnorth, March 19, 2017, 10:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

My favorite pot calls are aluminum. I much prefer the plain raw aluminum surface.  Seems I can get the best sound I'm looking for from that type surface.

Double B

Love aluminum,  but prefer blasted/stoned/raw over anodized because of the reasons given.   It slicks off fast and screeches to me.  You'll like the Rainchalk for striker touch up and feel or "grab" on the surface.  Look at Al Holbert Enticer aluminum calls for raw aluminum.  They sound good and are inexpensive, another good option to consider in addition to all the others already mentioned. 
Followed by buzzards

Jbird22

Quote from: perrytrails on March 20, 2017, 02:16:29 PMThat Hanks Padauk Aluminum is vest material!!
In my best Buford T. Justice voice, "You can bet your @$$ on that boy!"... ;D

Mine will be in my vest just as soon as I get the opportunity to go! I like the slick aluminum with the occasional higher pitch "slips".

SteelerFan

Ordered a Hanks paduak aluminum yesterday...

And with that... the 2017 buying season comes to a close!!  8)

yelpy

Is the Hanks a slick anodized or blasted?

SteelerFan

upnorth

I see most pots are like 3.5 inch diameter and a few are like 3.25 inches in aluminum. Anybody have opinions on aluminum pots of smaller vs larger diameters? It is amazing how standard size just about all calls are at present.

Jbird22

yelpy

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 21, 2017, 09:18:53 PM
Quote from: yelpy on March 21, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Is the Hanks a slick anodized or blasted?
Slick anodized
Thank you!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

upnorth

As far as strikers and pot match there is so much to learn the proper combination it gets frustrating at times. You get good sound in the house and room temp. Go outside and it may sound terrible. I am in the learning stage but it seems hard for me to get a wood striker to be consistent. The end seems to smooth out and not grab. I clean or sand it helps.
maybe that is what makes it a challenge-conditions always changing.

I am the process of getting my first aluminum pot from a brand recommended above.

SteelerFan

Hanks padauk aluminum arrived this weekend. Another super easy call to run from Hanks. Seems to like a variety of strikers.

I ran the 2-piece, and it has a nice rasp to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_doYO5Z1g

Tulipwood / B&W Ebony were good.

Disney

If you wanna reach out farther to let them hear ya callin, then yeah get aluminium. I love metal calls. They all go out a distance if you want them to, and you can tone them down too by pressure on the striker. I have aluminum, brass and copper. Each has its own pitch,tone and rasp.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

coyote1

Aluminum is a great surface. Imo it's hard to go wrong with the lights out yellow heart.

870BkWht

I just got my Hanks Padauk aluminum on Saturday and its a great sounding call. It has the slick anodized surface but i haven't had any trouble keeping it from screeching. I have been using 320 grit sandpaper on the surface and i use 220 grit on my strikers. 

I think the slick aluminum has a better sound quality than a bead blasted surface.