Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pots-are they worth having one?

Started by upnorth, March 19, 2017, 10:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

I have killed several gobblers over the years running aluminum calls. I always have one in my vest while hunting. 

wvmntnhick

It's not worth having one honestly. Now 4 on the other hand...

I've got a few. Couple Yingling that I like a lot, a Schaffer atomic 13, Halloran with half the anodized coating removed to improve it and most recently an enticer aluminum. That ones growing on me real fast.

Spitten and drummen

Is a slate worth having ? How about a glass. Short answer is yes. All surfaces are worth having. Calls are to turkeys what lures are to bass. One day they may love a certain sound and the next you will have a completely opposit response from the same bird.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

rodney gillikin

love them , I make calls and have some aluminum over glass if you would like to hear message me 252342223
Rodney Gillikin @
Pure T Momicked game calls
Bettie NC
https://www.facebook.com/PureTMommickedGameCalls/

Footballer

Absolutely you should have an aluminum. Aluminum was may favorite surface for years until crystal finally edged it out. I've had several over the years including Lights Out, Dawkins (both types of aluminum), Atomic 13, Lonzo, etc.

The two I still have are Dawkins stone aluminum in plastic pot and the Atomic 13. Both great calls.

Also take a look at the Houndstooth walnut aluminum. I just ordered one after listening to a video he posted.

SwampAssassin

I got a Black Aluminum/Bocote call made for me last year and I have had a really hard time getting the surface to stay conditioned. I can condition it and call once, and if I dont condition it again before calling it will squeal on me. I am sure that is more user error than anything bc I was not familiar with aluminum calls, but when its conditioned it makes one of the best and most raspy high to low yelps I have heard on a pot call. Def worth having in the vest!
Sweet Talkin bearded thunder chickens since 89'

Bowguy

Quote from: SwampAssassin on March 20, 2017, 12:25:31 PM
I got a Black Aluminum/Bocote call made for me last year and I have had a really hard time getting the surface to stay conditioned. I can condition it and call once, and if I dont condition it again before calling it will squeal on me. I am sure that is more user error than anything bc I was not familiar with aluminum calls, but when its conditioned it makes one of the best and most raspy high to low yelps I have heard on a pot call. Def worth having in the vest!
Is it slick aluminum

MikeStaten

Any slick aluminum will act like that.  However, some sound amazing so it's worth the hassle to me.  I hit the calling surface very lightly with scotchbrite and will even use some pool cue chalk or rain chalk on the striker tip.  However, the chalk isn't really needed in most cases.  Have you tried different strikers?  Some grip better than others.

Bowguy

Quote from: MikeStaten on March 20, 2017, 12:42:59 PM

Any slick aluminum will act like that.  However, some sound amazing so it's worth the hassle to me.  I hit the calling surface very lightly with scotchbrite and will even use some pool cue chalk or rain chalk on the striker tip.  However, the chalk isn't really needed in most cases.  Have you tried different strikers?  Some grip better than others.
I agree w Mike but I use 220 grit sandpaper. I find it better n longer lasting. Bear in mind it loweres the resale value

SwampAssassin

Quote from: Bowguy on March 20, 2017, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: MikeStaten on March 20, 2017, 12:42:59 PM

I agree w Mike but I use 220 grit sandpaper. I find it better n longer lasting. Bear in mind it loweres the resale value

It is slick black aluminum. I have been using scotchbrite to condition the calling surface and it works good but only last for a sec and it's slick again. The striker was matched and tuned to the call by the guy who made it. I have tried 4 different strikers on it but they didn't sound good at all. The striker that came with it is a really hard wood so when I condition the tip it still feels really slick. I have tried sandpaper and scotchbrite extensively and still no luck with a longer lasting conditioning. If it's hot and humid(which it is 80% of the season here in MS) I pretty much just leave it ok the vest bc it's useless in those conditions.

MikeStaten

Try some rain chalk on the playing surface.  Or, if you don't want to deal with the slick surface, check out call makers that use a bead blasted surface.  Jimmy Schaffer's are really good for that.

perrytrails

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 19, 2017, 09:37:09 PM
I have an older Lights Out in a Mahogany pot as well as the new Hanks in Padauk and I'd hunt both in a heartbeat! Yes, a "good" aluminum is worth having.

That Hanks Padauk Aluminum is vest material!!

Bowguy

If you're already scuffing it up w scothbrite try the 220 sandpaper. Just like conditioning glass I go in one direction. Not trying to sand off finish but put grooves in it. Clean up your striker tip of it needs it

SwampAssassin

I just ordered some Rain Chalk, going to give it a try. I have heard good things about it so we will see.

Cutt

A good aluminum is definitely worth having. There are going to be a lot of different opinions on the best one. My opinion, get one good one with several different strikers to vary the pitch and sound. I'm not one to buy several of the same surface, sure they might sound a bit different, but strikers can do the same thing. Good Luck with your choice, and I'll add Hank's Padauk Aluminum to the list.