Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Field Report Kings of Spring

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, March 19, 2017, 09:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmbradt3873

Well guys, that is it for me here in Fla. For the first time in a number of years I will have to have tag soup. Good luck to everyone still hunting.           
                                                  Joe

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

docost99

Bird down! More to come when I get pics uploaded!

WV TURKEY THUG

WV TURKEY THUG

Went out yesterday the wind was blowing pretty good and it was raining temp was in the low 50s. I forgot my jacket at the house forgot my mouth calls. I had a slate call on a rainy day and no jacket lol. I figured it was a good day to do some scouting from the vehicle and it paid off I found an area with a lot of turkey sign and heard some gobbling. Around 10 I get a call from my buddy asking me when am I going to bring my new 223 over and let him shoot a few rounds. I called it quits and decided to go to my buddies house and test a few loads that I was loading up.

Fast forward to this morning. Alarm goes off at 430. I get up and tell myself today's the day. It was raining and temps in the low 50s and the wind was blowing already. So I grab an extra pair of clothes 2 jackets, my mouth calls and even a push pin call that I haven't used in a few years, I was on a roll no weather besides a thunderstorm was going to keep my out of the woods. I arrive at the spot just before daylight. It was just light enough to see and a few start gobbling way off. I look up and notice there is a double rainbow in the sky now I was really thinking a longbeard was gonna die.  After 15 minutes I decided to walk out to this point and call some as I walking to the back of my vehicle to get my gun I spook a gobbler that wasnt 10 yds away from me. Was not expecting that.

Figured this has to be a good area. Got my gun case open and realized I forgot to put my shotgun back in the case, cant say the words I said but I decided to take the 223 only had 1 round for it and figured thats 1 dead bird. Anyways I got to the point and yelped with my push pin call. No responce waited 10 min and did the same still no responce. Thought I heard something behind me I turn around slowly and nothing was there while I was turning my head back to look down the hill 2 longbeards just came around the knob 35 yds away. They knew something was up and they turned around and started to walk back around the knob. So I shoulder the gun and put the crosshairs in the middle of ones back bam down he went the other one flew off. I jump up and He flops down over the flat. I get there and he is no where to be found. There was feathers and blood I followed the blood trail 50 yds or so then no more blood or feathers. I looked 4 hours for him but never found him. Pretty mad at myself right now.

rockymtngobblers

S.w. Colorado has not many hens but lots of gobblers gobbling but not coming  to calls, central Colorado still has flocked Turkey's.
Female hunter hunting the wild turkey for over 20 years.
Earn your gobbler, no Roost shooting.

WV TURKEY THUG

Heading out in a few looks like its gonna be a great day for some turkey hunting. Yall have a good one.

dublelung

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on April 28, 2017, 05:04:28 AM
Heading out in a few looks like its gonna be a great day for some turkey hunting. Yall have a good one.

Don't forget your shotgun!   :fud: :toothy12:

Best of luck to you. My season only lasts 3 more days and it appears at least 2 of those will be crappy weather.

I did see where our team mate Ocsar killed a fine triple beard and entered it in a different forum contest, hopefully he'll get it posted over here.

WV TURKEY THUG

Couldn't ask for better weather this morning. The birds were not gobbling very good on the roost. Heard 3 or so but they only gobbled a few times and shut up. Had a couple jakes come in around 830 or so.  Around 10 I heard one really fired up but couldn't figure out where the heck he was at due to noise from heavy equipment he was even triple gobbling. That's one thing I dislike about public land in WV atleast the public land I hunt. There ain't a single holler without a road in it leading to a pumpjack or something anymore. It's basically a poachers paradise you could road "hunt" all day long and never go down the same road twice. Gonna head out tomorrow morning and try and find a lonely longbeard. Got 2 more weeks left Good luck to the ones still hunting and don't forget to double check your equipment before you leave lol.

oscar101

Well that's it for me for the year. Today was the last day of the MS season. I went this morning but did not connect. Doesn't look like I will get to go out of state this year either. Good luck to everyone still huntin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

Yep, it's a wrap for me. It's back to catching coyotes and remodeling an old house trailer we bought for a river camp. Y'all wear em out!

WV TURKEY THUG

Went out this morning and didn't hear a single gobble. I think the 20 mph winds had something to do with it lol.

dublelung

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on May 02, 2017, 03:06:24 PM
Went out this morning and didn't hear a single gobble. I think the 20 mph winds had something to do with it lol.

I think you're the only team mate we have hunting. Hang in there with them!

WV TURKEY THUG

Gonna head out in a few. Weather doesn't look too good but you can't kill them on the couch.

aaronc53

I tagged out yesterday. Got 3 birds fired up about 745am. Got set up, and worked them for 2 hours before they made their appearance.
8.5" beard
3/4" spurs
15.17 pounds

WV TURKEY THUG