turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

will these loads be acceptable?

Started by nolimit679, April 09, 2011, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nolimit679

hey folks, went to walmart today and couldnt find any of my usual rounds so i picked up what "felt" right. these are remington 3" #4 shot extended range nitro magnums buffered 1 7/8oz shot.

i normally use the standard winchester or remington turkey loads (says turkey load on the box) but they didnt have em.

after the wind dies down i'll go do a bit of patterning.

mightyjoeyoung

Nitro Mag "Extended Range" loads are just the standard Remington lead loads with a little lighter payload and a bit higher velocity.  They should be copper plated and buffered too.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

TauntoHawk

just pattern and know the max distance to shoot with the loads. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cannonball

Gobble!

Quote from: cannonball on April 09, 2011, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 09, 2011, 05:15:18 PM

:agreed:

I also agree but I would not expect much from those shells. 35 yards at most if that.

Dwnforce

30 yards good pattern after that no good..I shot #6's a few weeks ago and it will kill turkeys at 30 but wouldnt go beyond that with my setup..these where 6's

hookedspur

Quote from: Gobble! on April 09, 2011, 06:34:51 PM
Quote from: cannonball on April 09, 2011, 05:23:11 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 09, 2011, 05:15:18 PM

I also agree but I would not expect much from those shells. 35 yards at most if that.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

deadeyeeddy

I got 105 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with Remington Nitro Magnum 3" 1 7/8 ounce 6's, but several people on another site told horror stories of birds getting away or almost getting away with those due to poor penetration.  I decided to shoot some 1.5 ounce Hevi-13 6's that gave an almost identical pattern and killed my first bird at 47 yards 2 weeks ago.

nolimit679

just in case there is any confusion, here is a link to these shells.   http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/turkey-loads/nitro-mag-buffered-magnum-loads.aspx

i am going to be patterning tommorow morning if the wind isn't blowing. A little info on my shotgun: not sure on year but rough guess is mid-late 80's Remmington Sportsman 12 gauge pump accepts 2 3/4-3" shells with a Full Choked one piece barrel (comes off in one piece, no seperate choke).

nolimit679

ok, here is some patterning i did this afternoon. unfortunately i was only able to set up for these 2 shots  due to an approaching grassfire. Both of these shots were from a standing position at a mid-ground level target with a stiff 30-40 mph wind from the right of my position. once again my gun is a mid to late 80's remmington sportsman pump 12 gauge accept 2 3/4-3" shells and has a full choked one peice barrel.

http://img856.imageshack.us/i/dscn0601.jpg/

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/dscn0603f.jpg/

will definately be doing more!

Dwnforce

Thats no good at 40...Mabye 30 max!

WyoHunter

I never had any luck with the Remington turkey loads.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Dwnforce

You could killem up close but with that 40 pattern I wouldnt set foot in the woods with it thats how far you plan on killin them..Mine shots ok at 30 with that load but the HS is the way to go

surehuntsalot

save those shells for squirrel hunting maybe
with the setup you have,you need to try some Federal Flightcontrol #6's or 5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bowhunter84