OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by Life of Riley, February 27, 2017, 02:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

Hey, I hunt in the midwest region. Wisconsin, Minnesota, and maybe SD. I was just wondering what type of binoculars I should get? I really don't have a pair right now. I do have a pile of gift cards for Cabelas....

beakbuster10

For the money vortex diamondback 10x42s are really hard to beat. With that said, when buying glass you get what you pay for. If I hunted out west and spent the majority of my time glassing, I'd have Swarovski's with out a doubt. I hunt in central Virgina. Vortex diamondbacks are more than I need here: solid build, crisp image, and good light transmission (relative to others in their price range) plus they have an unbeatable warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

A buddy of mine bought a pair of Diamondbacks and loves them but for me I have the 10X42 Bushnell Legend HD's.  Both have a Great warranty, have crisp glass and solidly built.  Go to a local store and pick up several pair and see what you like within your price range.

Rzrbac

Vortex Diamondback 10x42. Vortex also offers a great discount for military and law enforcement officers.

Greg Massey

Get you a pair of Vortex Diamondback, looking thru these is like watching HD on TV...lot clearer and more light gathering .....Great W and service....

Duffer58

I got a pair of Vortex Diamond Back 12X50's couple of years ago.  Great pair of binoculars.  Crisp clear images.  I also bought one of their 10X25 monoculars for when I want to travel lighter.  I also have several of their rifles scopes.  I am pleased with all of their products I have bought.  For the money they are hard to beat.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

MK M GOBL

There is a vast range in the price of optics from $50 to $3,000 but for the most part you are going to double your price to "see" the difference. You are going to need to decide what that price (spend) is for you...

I have a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x30's and are one of the best binos you can find, the glass is exceptional! I did find these at a great deal and they are my second pair of swaro's I also have the 8.5x42 EL's as well.

I use the SLC's for a number of things, I did buy them mostly for size, wanted them to fit in my turkey pack, and in the fall end up in my whitetail pack.

I do know these are the high end of glass and are going to be more expensive than most, if you are looking at other options and more of a basic pair I would look at Nikon's 8x30 Monarch's, they are pretty compact and very good glass for the price.

I do also understand a lot of people buy because of a "warranty" I guess I would consider never having to use a warranty the best case in class scenario and if I did they are still a lifetime warranty.

MK M GOBL

Nikon's

MK M GOBL

g8rvet

I just some 10X vortex for glassing while scouting ducks and geese. 

I love my 8x Nikons that are well over 10 years old for turkey hunting. They slip in my vest and I use them a lot. Lightweight and still quality optics. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

compton30

I've found that a pair of 8's are easier to freehand than a pair of 10's and would wager most would find a similar result. Buy the best glass you can afford. The Vortex stuff is phenomenal

Gooserbat

I have a pair of the Vortex Diamondback 10x42.  Great glass for the money.  YES you can pay more and get better.  I'll also agree that the 8X is easier to freehand.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mizzouhntr

Vortex are great glass, and a great warranty. My brother is a bird nerd,.. aka bird watcher, and him and all his people swear by these sightron blue sky ii 8x32. Ive used them.. compact, light, and really clear. Decent price too as you can catch them on sale for $130. There is an 80 page thread on a bird forum where everyone raves about them. I figured the bird nerds would know better than me. I do have the diamondbacks in 10x42 for work and they are super solid as stated above.

Life of Riley

Thanks for the tip, I might try those sightron blue skys. Everyone seems to love them and say they are really great binos for the price. I'm going to check out the vortex too next time I'm at cabelas and keep my eyes open for a sale on either one.