turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Buying Season

Started by davisd9, February 24, 2017, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

This showed up Saturday. Our very own SwampRooster17 made it. Hope to put it to good use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

Quote from: davisd9 on March 06, 2017, 10:13:06 AM
This showed up Saturday. Our very own SwampRooster17 made it. Hope to put it to good use!

Wow very cool

YoungbuckTX

Donald stop trying to get me to buy more turkey stuff
line 'em up

davisd9

Quote from: YoungbuckTX on March 06, 2017, 02:36:36 PM
Donald stop trying to get me to buy more turkey stuff

Quit sending me texts asking me what I think.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BABS9

Thinking about putting a red dot atop of my 11-87. Anyone use or have used vortex venom or Burris fast fire? Figured I'd get some opinions. Thanks

Bowguy

Quote from: BABS9 on March 07, 2017, 12:23:20 PM
Thinking about putting a red dot atop of my 11-87. Anyone use or have used vortex venom or Burris fast fire? Figured I'd get some opinions. Thanks
I. Just ordered the fast fire but it won't be here til the weekend. Let ya know once I try it

dirt road ninja

I had an FFIII, didn't care for it. Things I like - Turkeys looked cool with a dot on their heads, it was on no matter the position your head was in as long as the weapon was upright, and held it's zero. Things I didn't like - relied on batteries, made me baby the gun for fear of knocking it off (maybe just an unnecessary mental thing), when I would crawl or set the gun in grass it would get dirty, cost me a bird in KS cause I crawled thru a field then couldn't see thru it, requires more maintenance then my iron sights.

I've tried scopes before and feel like they just aren't for me on turkey guns, so my opinion may not be unbiased.

davisd9

Never tried one of those and may like it better.  Did try a truglo one and did not care for it.  Really babied it and did not like the battery idea.  I am a scope guy though.

trkehunr93

I like a plain old scope.  To me it's no different than the scope on my deer rifle or my muzzleloader.  I exercise the same amount of care.  Bought a red dot once but the battery thing is what concerned me.  I was always afraid I would forget to turn it off and a few years while hunting over a field with a friend a group of birds slipped in on us and he shouldered his gun only to find his red dot was off and had to lower it to cut it on, thank God for the stake out blind and dekes because they were his saving grace for him to do all that and still kill the gobbler with hens.

SwampRooster17

I bought a muller quickshot a few months ago to try out but after mounting it I did not like it. It sat up to high. Sold the mueller and bought a scope. Really like the scope so far.

BABS9

Those are my worries with it. I've always just shot with a bead. But reliability does it hold zero and battery life are my two main concerns. I would probably leave the dot on most of the time while hunting and always carry a spare. But if battery life isn't good and have to change them all the time that would get annoying. Looks like I have some research to do lol

Bowguy

A scope is good but some of the same issues apply. My brother has hunted for years w an inexpensive Tru glo red dot. Changed the batteries each spring and has had zero issues. W today's loads some exactness in poi is required n to me having multiple guns to chose from means it's not my only choice today. If it sits too high I'm not going to like it either n it'll wind up on my daughters buck mark pistol.

USMC0331

Both have pros and cons. A scope needs to start around 1.5 to 1.75 and really don't need any thing past 4x. If your eye relief  is set and you can focus on your target with both eyes open a scope can help you out in low light conditions as well as being able to see a bird as he is slipping in at a distance. Only draw back on a scope is not to have it at high magnification, if a bird shows up close you may not be able to see him . Scope needs to be properly mounted so recoil does not knock it off. On cold days do not breath any air in direction of scooe if your trying to get on target , tuff to see when glass fogs up. Beauty of red dot is its  small and light , once you have it zeroed regardless of how you have the weapon pointed at the target as long as the dot is on target it will be hit. You cannot do that with iron sights or a scope. As far as batteries goes, the better the red dot the longer the battery life is. After red dot is zeroed even if you battery runs out if you keep the birds head in the center of the optic you will hit your target. I put a  tr 25 on my son's 20 guage and I told him to shoot at the target without the dot being on. I told him to center in the optic and shoot. It was not dead center but the target head was smashed. Regardless of what you get I hope you have a successful season.

YoungbuckTX

good info here

I have been using a 4x simmons scope for a couple years now. I am finally having my Benelli SuperNova drilled/tapped so I can remove the saddle mount. Using a 1 piece DNZ mount to eliminate points of failure.

Having poor eye sight the scope has definitely assisted me with finding my target in thick cover.
I need to remember to add some fog proofing to it before next week.
line 'em up

YoungbuckTX

ddavis finally convienced me to buy a new turkey call.. went with a MadHatter 3.5" copper over glass in cocobolo. I have never really used metal before but have heard lots of good things.
line 'em up