only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DOGS!!!!!

Started by Trip, April 08, 2011, 08:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper1982

Quote from: sugarray on April 11, 2011, 03:41:23 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on April 10, 2011, 06:43:14 PM
I'm not intending to start a war on this post, but some of these replies are disturbing to me. Being a coon hunter I have several hunting dogs and love them all. I would never intentionally shoot another man's dog, whether I thought it was a stray or not. I do my best in this situation to catch the dogs, if they have a collar there should be some contact info for the owner on it. If not, I take them to a shelter. We've had problems in the past once before with hunting dogs getting shot. Most people who don't own hounds or other hunting dogs have no idea of the years of work, the countless hours of time, and the thousands of dollars it has cost the owner to raise that dog into a top notch working animal. To have someone throw all that out the window with one pull of the trigger...well I know of no words to describe the kind of frustration and anger that comes with that. I'm sure you've all heard the saying that dogs can't read posted signs, but it is a true statement. Don't blame the dog for merely doing what it was bred and trained to do. There are a few bad apples in every group, but most all responsible hunting dog owners are careful where they release their dogs. Most of the time it doesn't happen, but in some cases the dog may hunt outside of your property. That is not the dog's fault. He knows nothing of boundaries and property lines. No dog should be shot for just running by you, but it really makes no sense when the dog clearly has on a collar along with a GPS tracking collar. It's obvious that the dog belongs to someone who definitely wants it back. As I said in the beginning, it is not my intention to start trouble with this post and I hope none of you take it that way. However, I do hope the next time you line up the sights on a dog you will think about this post, and deal with the matter in a more humane, sensible way.

This topic is not about collared hunting dogs.  It is about strays or dogs that run too far from home.  I would not think about shooting a collared hunting dog, as yes they are likely doing what they are trained to do.  Now, a dog even with a collar should not be allowed to run deer.  If they do, that dog likely will get shot and should be tied up and if not, then that is the way it operates, especially here in rural WV.   Now, my dog always has a collar and has never gotten out of his collar.

We have to remember personal responsibility falls back to the OWNER not the hunter.  If a dog is doing something it shouldn't, then this should only happen once.   If the owner can't/won't take responsibility to protect the dog then the owner has to be acceptable to whatever may happen to the dog.
x2....

catdaddy

I fancy myself as a student of human nature--people who shoot dogs with compulsion tell me a lot about them.

Nimrodmar10

Quote from: catdaddy on April 11, 2011, 09:27:27 PM
I fancy myself as a student of human nature--people who shoot dogs with compulson tell me a lot about them.

I'm not sure what a fancy student of natural humans is. I don't even know what a compulson is but if it's anything like a magnum I've probably shot a deer chasing dog with it. I can tell you that myself.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

I'm on the fence about this one.  I grew up on a farm in PA and we had stray/wild dogs all the time chase our calves around etc.  Needless to say I've pulled the trigger on a few in my time, but only the ones that where obviously wild and endangering my calves, and one off my black lab that was attacking it.  We also were out mushroom hunting one spring, and 5 wild dogs attempted to attack my mom and sister, it's a good thing my dad always carries a side arm with him or they would have been lunch.  We killled all 5 of them a couple days later when there were chasing my paps one dog around the field.   On a more humorous note, our neihbor raised chocolate labs, and they kept coming over to the farm, well my pap coon hunts and has a couple male blue ticks....  needless to say there are a bunch of chocolate labs with blue ticks markings running around in PA somewhere.  The owner now fences his dogs.   :whip2: :whip2:  I'm a dog lover, but stray/wild dogs are a danger to people and to animals, domestic and wild alike.

HogBiologist

I can honestly say I have not shot every dog that ran by me in the woods.  But it is a close 50/50.  Collar gets a pass.  No collar and not a recognizable hunting breed, ........
Certified Wildlife Biologist

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: harvester on April 08, 2011, 08:50:49 AM
Them dogs would only mess up one hunt.  :fud:
Quote from: Daman on April 08, 2011, 09:29:53 AM
Strays and coyotes are one in the same in my book. Varmints! Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up
Yep!!! :icon_thumright:
Don't get me wrong, I am a dog lover too!! But wild dogs, stray dogs, whatever, chasing game and ruining your hunt is unacceptable. Especially when you have put so much time, effort and money into your hunt.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on April 11, 2011, 01:58:49 PM
There was an elderly woman mauled and killed by two Great Pyrenees and a Lab near my home just a year or so ago. The owner couldn't believe it was them, even when they were covered in the woman's blood. These were pets.
My family knows a woman who was killed by wild dogs while checking her mail. She was old and couldn't fight them off. If they have a collar I'll probably let them walk. I may even know the owner. But the last one I shot chasing a deer I felt like I did it a favor. It was so sickly every rib was showing and it was cut up down its back. Very sad. My concerns with wild dogs are 1. the wildlife, and 2. most importantly the youngsters we have that play in the woods. I would be sick if a kid I knew got hurt by wild dogs.

Peck1524

I fancy myself as a student of human nature--people who shoot dogs with compulson tell me a lot about them.

This

Gobble!

Shooting dogs is bad
Just feed them antifreeze
They love it but the never come back  :-[

catdaddy

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on April 11, 2011, 10:08:46 PM
I fancy myself as a student of human nature--people who shoot dogs with compulsion tell me a lot about them.

I'm not sure what a fancy student of natural humans is. I don't even know what a compulsion is but if it's anything like a magnum I've probably shot a deer chasing dog with it. I can tell you that myself.

Ironically,  even given your admitted shortcomings with the English language, it is kind of like that.   

Trevor2

I did my part just an hour ago on four of them, as they came in and busted my should have been best hunt ever. Had 3 toms and 5 jakes coming in on a string from across a 300 yard field.
Strutstopper

Fireengine70

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 12, 2011, 12:02:37 AM
Quote from: harvester on April 08, 2011, 08:50:49 AM
Them dogs would only mess up one hunt.  :fud:
Quote from: Daman on April 08, 2011, 09:29:53 AM
Strays and coyotes are one in the same in my book. Varmints! Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up
Yep!!! :icon_thumright:
Don't get me wrong, I am a dog lover too!! But wild dogs, stray dogs, whatever, chasing game and ruining your hunt is unacceptable. Especially when you have put so much time, effort and money into your hunt.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Peck1524

This guy shot his neighbors dog who was chasing a turkey. Got him in a bit of trouble. He also shot another dog chasing a deer, which in Maryland is legal to do.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2010-08-11/news/25198407_1_pereschuks-jeffrey-lynn-hurd-james-and-renee-rudolph