OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DOGS!!!!!

Started by Trip, April 08, 2011, 08:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trip

Our NC turkey season comes in tomorrow...Im pumped...Scouted this moring and heard a few on the limb, and then one of my most despised nemesis shows up....I love dogs I actually had my chocolate lab out scouting with me this morning, but when three mutts come out of the middle of nowhwere and head straight for a gobbling turkey, it just rubs me the wrong way. I tried to run them off but to no avail. Im keeping my fingers crossed that they didnt bump the bird. I have had dogs screw up a turkey hunt in the past I guess thats why Im so worried...ANY ADVICE?....I just wish people would do a better job at keeping their dogs put away.

harvester

Them dogs would only mess up one hunt.  :fud:

BrowningGuy88

Strays and coyotes are one in the same in my book. Varmints! Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up

Timmer

A few years ago I had a tom steadily coming in.  He was coming from the woods behind me and I was facing my decoys out in the field ahead of me so I couldn't see him.  All of a sudden I hear something running from behind and the turkey comes past me like a rocket just a few yards away.  Before I could even figure out what was going on he was out of range.  Following up behind was the landowner's dog.  It was definitely frustrating but in my case the dog had more claim to the property than me so all I could do is shrug my shoulders and consider it one more unique experience. 

I'm a dog lover but I feel people need to keep them on their property and they shouldn't be chasing wild game.  If the owner can't keep them on their property then they can't feel bad when something happens to them. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Basser69

Quote from: Daman on April 08, 2011, 09:29:53 AM
Strays and coyotes are one in the same in my book. Varmints! Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up

archery1

thats tough to call.....i hate cats but am a dog lover.. they dont belong in the woods for sure .. dogs running wild in any woods is not a good thing.. ur lucky u can see any turkey if the dogs are running around...
Take a kid hunting

Kylongspur88

We kill a ton of them at the farm every year. The turkeys can fly up into the trees but they will run a deer to death.

870supermagnum

I don't think I would actually shot one, but I would be seriously thinking about it.   :fud:

NCTURKEYHUNTER

I couldn't pull the trigger, during Deer season I had a group of guys let dogs loose on
the property line next to where I was hunting. Dogs running everywhere. Really messed up the hunt.  How about RAW HAMBERGER and a SLEEPIN PILL.  Good Luck.

struttin_1

Had a bird coming in hot last year in Southern VA only to have  two dogs come barreling down through the woods straight for the bird. Needless to say that ended the hunt..

bayou gobbler

Quote from: Basser69 on April 08, 2011, 09:39:12 AM

x3

Nimrodmar10

If a dog's wearing a collar I won't bother him. If the dog is feral or the owner doesn't think enough of him to put a collar on him I'm doing the wildlife a favor and putting him down. Cats are different. If they're within 100 yards of a house or outbuilding, they're safe. Any further than that, I figure they're wild. Feral or loose pets do a lot of damage to wildlife.

SinGin

X4 but it is illegal here in Missouri to shoot a stray dog running through the woods, but only if you get caught. :z-guntootsmiley:

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: NCTURKEYHUNTER on April 08, 2011, 10:29:25 AM
I couldn't pull the trigger, during Deer season I had a group of guys let dogs loose on
the property line next to where I was hunting. Dogs running everywhere. Really messed up the hunt.  How about RAW HAMBERGER and a SLEEPIN PILL.  Good Luck.

How about a few immodium in that hamburger? 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

oatsj

I talked with a biologist who was involved in stocking turkeys in Alabama years ago he told me that dogs were the worst thing  for turkeys especially during laying season they would bump hens off the nest and she would not return. Sooo you might want to take care of them. :character0029: