OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wierd Locator Tip

Started by 870BkWht, February 10, 2011, 12:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

I carry a owl hooter and crow call, but typically let them gobble on their own.

My thoughts on a dog whistle is that it's not natural and I wouldn't recommend it.

nstrut

if u have to move on a gobbler and keep track of him i use a crow call and a pileated woodpecker call to keep in touch with him

CASH

Hardcore can play Yankee Doodle on a crow call.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Boomstick

Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2011, 05:14:50 PM
Quote from: paladin on February 13, 2011, 04:48:16 PM
I know a guy that gets is Highway patrol buddy to hit his siren on his way to work near their hunt lease. He says the birds always gobble. I knew of a turkey that would gobble when the school bus would shift gears to climb a hill also.
I bet if the cops were chasing the school bus the turkeys would really go crazy.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
"Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun" Ash from army of darkness

vaturkey

I have heard people say that an airhorn would make one gobble. You know, like the ones people use at football games. Anybody ever tried it ?

:newmascot:
Vaturkey

kyhareraiser

i am not a duck hunter but while looking through some stuff at a yard sale i found one and believe it or not ,,it will shock them turkeys into a gobble every time ..sometimes i think it takes something they are not used to hearing..another one i use is a thin piece of metal like on a roof and when shaken violently it sounds like thunder and we all know what turkeys do when they here thunder ...GOOOOBBBLLLLLE

Wild 1

The first turkey I ever killed started gobbling at some air starter's on some semis in the coal mines. I have used a goose call ,elk bugle and a coon squaller. Anything loud will get a turkey to gobble.

hookedspur

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 12:33:58 PM
Havent used it but Mad marketed this concept with the "dead silence"
NO, NO, No
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

INDY

a buddy of mine tried it with zero success

pdqt

You guys that are having luck with the goose call, are there nesting in your area? Here in eastern va. you can hear geese flying and honking most every morning. I have heard them gobble at geese, but here lots of times they won't even gobble when the owls really get cranked up. I have also heard them gobble at distant gun shots more than a couple of times. I would love to find something that worked from 30-50% of the time rather than just once in a long while. :lol:   :help:

Ebby

I've used the goose call to great effect before. I've never used the dog whistle but trains, cars, air horns, anything like that will work. The good thing is, its ok to try b/c you usually won't scare them off with it. It will eaither work or not.
Lee

alloutdoors

The farm next to where I hunt has some domestic geese and if they get fired up the turkeys will gobble back.  They don't pay much mind to wild geese flying over and honking though.  I'm going to carry a goose call this year, and maybe a duck call too.  I bet hammering them with a competition style highball would do the trick.

Random things I've heard birds gobble to include a school bus horn, air brakes, my younger sister and her friend giggling in the yard when we were kids, thunder, gun shots, slamming doors and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting now.  Anything loud, high-pitched, or abrupt can work.

guesswho

About the best locator call around here is a Jackass.  My Dad say's that explains a lot.  Not sure what he means :-\

Maybe I can sell the idea to the squealing hen folks.   A Jackass and a squealing hen would be a deadly combo!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tomdown#4

I actually heard one gobble at an M-16 shooting when I was hunting on an Army base over in Georgia a few years ago. Never tried the whistle, I have only used crow and owl calls. I agree with the posts that stated that almost any loud noise can cause a tom to shock gobble. So I would say try it and see if it works.

BigGobbler

We hunted this one Gobbler that would gobble on the roost but once he hit the ground he would shut up. We tried everything to get him to gobble owl, crow hawk, woodpecker nothing would work. Then from out of know where this donkey let out a bellow and he gobbled and he gobbled every time that donkey let out a bellow. We nicked named him the jackass gobbler.