OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wierd Locator Tip

Started by 870BkWht, February 10, 2011, 12:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

I read in a blackpowder magazine an article about blackpowder turkey hunting.  While not really interested in the blackpowder aspect, the author mentioned using a dog whistle for a locator call.  Anyone else ever used this or does it even work?  Not saying I would trying, just was curious.

shootumindaface

Havent used it but Mad marketed this concept with the "dead silence"

spurman

I have tried it and some of my friends have tried it. Do not know if we were doing it right or not but never had a turkey gobble at it.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

CASH

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 12:33:58 PM
Havent used it but Mad marketed this concept with the "dead silence"

Is there anything Mad hasn't marketed?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

knightrider

the mad call did not work for me, but another weird one that does is a goose call

guesswho

I've never used one, I wouldn't want a bunch of dogs following me around . 

Mother nature does a pretty good job getting birds to gobble by herself around here.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

socalturkeyman

we were trying that this year but all we got was dogs barking at us lol, but in turn turkeys gobbled at the dogs. But I would have to say this one does not work, well at least not for us.

But the goose call does work, and I REALLY mean it works. Do not underestimate the goose call, but just remember to have someone with you that can walk a few steps away from you to listen
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

pdqt

I tried it a few years back [is 15 a few] didn't do me any good. Blew it at 3 deer standing in a woods road about 60-70 yds away, didn't act like they even heard it, look my way or anything.

870BkWht

I will indeed remember the tip on the goose call.  I didn't figure the whole dog whistle thing was a good idea anyways.  Ive never been partial to any product marketed by Drury Bros.  Just my opinion.  Thanks fellas.

neal

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Yeah that idea was a flop!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

I hate turkeys

Quote from: knightrider on February 10, 2011, 07:25:18 PM
the mad call did not work for me, but another weird one that does is a goose call
They will hit on a goose call late in season after they have been hooted to death.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

DMP

Goose call is deadly..      :fud: :newmascot:

BigHooks

You have probably already know this but I like using a peacock call it's a different sound they have never heard, an they usually will shock gobble at it when nothing else works...

paladin

I know a guy that gets is Highway patrol buddy to hit his siren on his way to work near their hunt lease. He says the birds always gobble. I knew of a turkey that would gobble when the school bus would shift gears to climb a hill also.
"have gun-will travel"

guesswho

Quote from: paladin on February 13, 2011, 04:48:16 PM
I know a guy that gets is Highway patrol buddy to hit his siren on his way to work near their hunt lease. He says the birds always gobble. I knew of a turkey that would gobble when the school bus would shift gears to climb a hill also.
I bet if the cops were chasing the school bus the turkeys would really go crazy.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff