Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Spring Line Up

Started by davisd9, January 27, 2017, 03:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

The past week or so I have really been struggling with the wait to spring. I have done everything I know to clear my mind and settle down, but it has not been working. I have pulled out calls and started practicing, have gone through my reloading items taking inventory, watched YouTube videos, and causing havoc on various FaceBook turkey hunting pages. None of these have helped much. My next step is going to be start reading the new book by Kenny Morgan, my wife gave it to me for Christmas.

During this time of withdrawal and being antsy I have decided on my calls for my vest, though not much different than last year. I am a little lighter by only carrying two pots but other than that it is pretty close. If I have had reasonable success with a call I have learned to stick with it.

My line up for this spring:
Pots: Loftis Crystal Screamer and Halloran Walnut/Wenge Slate

Strikers: Light's Out Cedar, Loftis Carbon, Fowler Osage/Snakewood, Fowler Osage/Apitong, and Halloran Wenge (Am anxiously awaiting a Fowler Osage/Mystery Wood that will probably make it to the vest)

Trumpets: NA African Blackwood, Hudson Lignum, Buice Osage, and MKW Cocobolo

Boxes: Will start with SS Maple/Spanish Cedar and Lancaster Jatoba/Holly, but have a Hustlin Hen and another Lancaster Purpleheart/Poplar that will see action.

Locators: Gibson Style Crow and Houndstooth Hooter (thinking on a Gibson Hooter)

Mouth Calls: XT and Natural Addiction

We are closing in on a month and a half here soon, thank goodness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

My line up changes time to time. For pots I love aluminum, for sure a Schafer or two will make it. Had crazy good luck w both his atomic 13 and sapele double aluminum but I've got a new aluminum over aluminum that may be even better. Dawkins stoned aluminum may come n Dustin Jones aluminum is def comin. Glass/Crystal-crystal mistress and perhaps the Jones glass I'm waiting on if it sounds like it did on the phone.
Scratchers will be SS of some sort, prob their padauk/butternut or their yellow heart.
Short boxes I don't carry too much except to roost birds. Longboxes-either a twisting creek bloodwood/butternut or bloodwood over mineral poplar or an SS redheart over poplar.
Mouth calls from Hooks n Tru tone most likely. Maybe a mouth yelper but that's fairly new to me so we'll see.
Locators hootin stick n Gibson crow or I just cutt at em. Almost forgot a Tanner slate trough too
All this could change w the advent of newer calls or just because another call starts ringing truer in my ear so we'll see the night before. Gonna be cool to start putting on locators n binos n start looking for sure.
Love deer season but in my state it's 5 months long n I'm way ready to hunt turks by now

davisd9

Added a Fowler Mystery Wood striker, man she sings!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bowguy

I really like fowler strikers. I've added a Lonzo stoned in orange agate pot that's prob gonna squeeze it's way in. Funny cause at first I wasn't so certain about it n I can't figure out why. Call is really good

Rzrbac

Here's a few calls I've bought this winter. Really like the Lon Trice pot. I don't own any custom strikers, may look at some before season. Got a Gibson crow coming and have to get mouth calls. Mouth calls are what I use 75% of the time so I need some decent ones. Likely Woodhaven or Primos as that's about all I've got experience with and been using them for years. Just wished they would last for more than a couple of weeks.

davisd9

If you decide to get some strikers I recommend Mr. Harold Fowler. His strikers are my favorite. The ones I get from him and straight tipped, but if you like a flared tip I am sure he can make it if you call and asked, though not 100% sure.

Usually a custom mouth call like hooks, XT, cane creek will last a season, I had XTs last a couple years.

dirt road ninja

My 2017 starting line up.

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 14, 2017, 01:55:43 PM

My 2017 starting line up.

It would be a shame for that box to get "LOST" in SC this spring.

SwampRooster17

What I will have in the vest opening day. Haven't decided between the boxes yet. Will rotate in a few pots and a tube

davisd9

Quote from: SwampRooster17 on February 14, 2017, 05:43:06 PM
What I will have in the vest opening day. Haven't decided between the boxes yet. Will rotate in a few pots and a tube

Is that a Gibson crow call?

dirt road ninja

I plan not to let it out of my sight.

SwampRooster17

Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2017, 05:59:34 PM

Nah it's a hooks synthetic

davisd9

Quote from: SwampRooster17 on February 14, 2017, 06:46:15 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 14, 2017, 05:59:34 PM

Nah it's a hooks synthetic

It looks really good!

Rzrbac

Looks like trumpets are popular. Never have tried one.

Ninja, who made that box, Albert Paul?

dirt road ninja

It's a Troy Wix, I've got a couple Albert Paul's. Something about that box just strikes gobbles. In all honesty it's not a great sounding call compared to others I own, but the birds respond to it very wel . Probably just a mental thing. If I see another I'd scoop it up in a second.