OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Has this ever worked for anybody else? (my first post)

Started by northwoodshntr, April 05, 2011, 02:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoodshntr

Saturday afternoon I pulled into my uncles place, my aunt comes out saying "you just missed the turkeys. They ran out of the field toward the old box elder tree." So, not knowing exactly where they are I sneak around the barn- no turkeys. Over to the woodshed- nothing. I easy over to some equipment along the field thinking where? how far? (they spooked when someone stopped and got out of theire truck to look through bino's at them. I didn't want to spook them more. No locator calls.....I puckered my lips and did my best to kind of kee kee/lost call. In 3 minutes I had 4 hens yelping and 2 toms gobbling at me. WOW they're at the pond already. Did I just get lucky or is this an overlooked locator call? 

redleg06

I prefer not to make any turkey sounds while trying to locate them because I dont want them trying to figure out where I am while Im busy doing the same to them.

bowhunter84

Quote from: redleg06 on April 05, 2011, 07:23:36 AM
I prefer not to make any turkey sounds while trying to locate them because I dont want them trying to figure out where I am while Im busy doing the same to them.

:agreed:

northwoodshntr

I was just going over for a social call with my daughter. The season doesn't open until the 18th. This is the first year this area's open for the spring season so I've been trying to get the birds figured out a little better. I was just suprized I pulled it off. LOL

archery1

NEVER TRIED IT.. MY BUDDY HAS BEEN HUNTING BIRDS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS.. HE SAID ONE DAY A GOBBLER WAS A LONG WAYS OFF AND HE TRIED BOX CALLS, POT CALLS AND EVERYTHING IN HIS VEST... THE BIRD WOULDNT RESPOND . HE HAD A MOUTH CALL BUT NEVER USED IT BEFORE SO HE SAYS WHAT THE !@#$@ IT CANT HURT ANYTHING.. SO HE PUT IT IN GAVE IT SOME AIR AND LEFT OUT THE MOST HORRIBLE SOUND HE EVER HEARD.. WELL THAT GOBBLER BROKE AND CAME OVER TO HIM.. SO ITS SOMETHIN DIFFERENT THEY WANT TO HEAR BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO MESS UP YOUR SEASON BEFORE IT STARTS BY CALLING THEM IN. THEY DO GET SMARTER AND WILL BE HARDER TO GET THEM INTO RANGE..

THAT STOERY YOU TOLD IS PRETTY KOOL THOUGH.
Take a kid hunting

northwoodshntr

Yep, I'm staying low profile on the calling until the 18th. One of my first years turkey hunting I was with a friend of mine on his parents land. Low pressure but some nice toms. We spent our first morning calling 2 toms off property we couldn't hunt. boogered 'em up 3 times too (It was one of my first years hunting turkeys). We spent the next two days trying to call them back again, it never happened. And that's how I learned how to over call and NOT TO.