OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Skin" Mount Question

Started by Joe2Kool, June 29, 2016, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe2Kool

Got my first Merriam's in NE this year.  Skinned it.  I've seen pics of hanging skin mounts.  Anybody got pics to share?  What about a recommendation for a taxidermist in the east TN/north GA/NC area?  I live in east TN.

KentuckyHeadhunter

You don't need a taxidermist.  Google turkey cape or caping a turkey. It's easy and will save you $$$. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

trkehunr93

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captpete

Here is one I did(sorry for the crappy pic). Like mentioned above you can do it yourself...it is actually pretty simple to do.

Farmboy27

Pretty easy. Just take your time and mind the feathers. All I did was salt and borax mine and it was fine for 10 years. (Until the dang dog got ahold of it!)

Marc

If you look on the taxidermy forums, someone did a  cape with the wings that looked spectacular.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Spring Fever

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Bowguy

You can do it yourself but you can also mount a deer yourself guess it depends on how well you want it to turn out. If you borax it, it's only dry preserved. It can crack, bleed grease or bugs can attack it if you don't keep things climate controlled. Not to mention it's gotta be cleaned n once dry preened. Some work n know how involved.
It can be done yourself though

Joe2Kool

Thanks to all for the pics.  Everything is in the freezer.  Not sure I'm gonna try it myself or not.  My taxidermy skills aren't what I would like them to be.

GSLAM95

Quote from: Treerooster on July 02, 2016, 02:16:27 AM
Here is one with the wings. Not the best pic but it is in a hallway and hard to get back far enough.

Treerooster did you do that one yourself or have a taxidermist do it?  Compliments on a job well done either way.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.