OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What's the difference between the old king strut and new king strut decoy?

Started by supremepredator, August 06, 2016, 05:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Life of Riley

I think it's the exact same decoy, the flocked version is foam with a velvet type coating. The point of this is to avoid the shiney fake look of plastic decoys.

supremepredator

All the wild turkeys ive seen have a shine to them when the sun hits them. Wild turkeys have iridescent plumage last time i checked, but i get what your saying. It's not the same "shine" if that makes sense.

wvmntnhick

I've never seen a turkey care about the type of decoy personally. They're either going to commit or they won't. Not taking a dig at those that use them as I've been known to on several occasions. In fact, I've got what many would consider the most unrealistic decoys on the market. I've got the Montana 3D decoys. Miss purrfect I think is the name. Only popped one of them up once last spring. Birds didn't come in to where they could see her. No big deal. Who makes the king strut anyway?

Life of Riley

It is made by Flambeau. I bought a flocked one after season because it was only 25 bucks and I hunt a lot of fields, which I think is the only place you really need a decoy. I also bought a montana Jake purrfect and I think it looks good. Screen print of a real turkey picture on cloth with the feather cuts. I also really like the idea of an elastic strap on the decoy to attach to the stake in high wind. I was hunting this spring with a cheap decoy and as it was spinning in circles I wish I had never put it out. The Cherokee inflatable decoys work on dumb birds I'm sure, but they are so damn shiny it's a turn off for me and I'm sure the Turkeys as well. Now I just need to find a Miss Purrfect on sale and I'm set for life.

Farmboy27

It's the new version so they can charge more for it. Most hunters are suckers for anything "new and improved"!  If something worked 10 years ago then guess what, it's still gonna work today! 

owlhoot

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 09, 2016, 10:00:51 PM
It's the new version so they can charge more for it. Most hunters are suckers for anything "new and improved"!  If something worked 10 years ago then guess what, it's still gonna work today!
ya but the video and tv shows that feature them are old !
LOL

supremepredator

Hey wvmnthick dont hate on the miss purrfect! I think they're awesome decoys and almost scored the perfect pair on ebay for $30! But their was error and they were out of stock. And fyi, the new king strut is cheaper. Thats why i started this thread. From the pics ive seen, it seems the older version has a different beard, paint scheme and fan. Not sure why they would charge more for the older one, unless the newer one isn't as durable. I think its the cheapest, most realistic, most portable tom decoy on the market right now. You can buy one for about $26 on amazon last time i checked.

supremepredator

Oh and let me add this. I just noticed that flambue has a "flocked" line of decoys. they look like garbage compared to their master's series decoy line. It's strange cause the "flocked" king strut also has "master's series" in the title, but it looks crappy compared to thr older version. I smell a rat.

Life of Riley

The picture on amazon you referred to shows the decoy with a real turkey fan and wings added. I'm guessing the beard too. These obviously look better than the fakes that come with both decoys. Have you seen either in person, or just grainy Internet photos?

supremepredator

Quote from: Life of Riley on August 10, 2016, 09:56:01 AM
The picture on amazon you referred to shows the decoy with a real turkey fan and wings added. I'm guessing the beard too. These obviously look better than the fakes that come with both decoys. Have you seen either in person, or just grainy Internet photos?
ive been through enough high quality photos to notice the difference. Im positive now that the flocked version is a cheaper successor to the older one. The old one clearly has a better paint job and fake fan. Flambeau Outdoors King Strut & Hen Decoy Combo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ULOGR1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xJ6QxbPQT9JZ1 just look at this link. You can clearly see the better paint job, but they put the new fan on this one for some reason. I can't find the original stock king strut without the real fan and wings anywhere, all the stores ive been to are either out of stock or want $80 plus for the older one. Something tells me the older one is better

Life of Riley

I've seen pictures of the decoy from 4 years ago and the fan looks exactly the same. I think you just saw some of the many photos with the real  fan, and didn't realize it was an "aftermarket" part. I emailed the company to get to the bottom of it.

Thank you for contacting Flambeau Inc., in regards to the King Strut Turkey Decoy. Nothing is different between the two decoys other than the Flocking.  Same size, fan tail, beard ect.

Thank you!

Courtney L. Weaver
Customer Service Rep
15981 Valplast Road
Middlefield, OH 44062
Phone: 800-457-5252 3731
Fax: 440-632-1581
Email: cweaver@flambeau.com
www.flambeau.com

supremepredator

the pics don't lie. That's a tom that was harvested on my property. You can clearly see the difference in both decoys and how they compare to a real tom. Im not saying the flocked is bad, in fact for the price one could argue it is the better value. But in my opinion the old one looks more realistic, and almost dsd realistic with the wings and real fan added.

wvmntnhick