only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by Life of Riley, June 23, 2016, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Bowguy on June 26, 2016, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: EZ on June 26, 2016, 09:31:57 AM
Just something to keep in mind and this is by no means a slam on anyone's method of hunting, but there are tons of "turkey killers" who don't use blinds. Just a thought.
There are certainly plenty of guys never use blinds but w kids they offer an added advantage. Least for fly down. After that running n gunning is blindless but the kids aren't sitting an hour in the dark or half light waiting for the games to begin. They can be kids n sleep, mess w a phone dimly lit, etc all w birds sleeping in view. Once they wake n start gobbling getting ready is no big deal.
Remember things aren't as they used to be, some kids are used to a faster paced life, I didn't say that's better but we gotta hook em w an awful lot of things vying for their time. Certainly we need to make it fun, sitting stock still while a bird sits on a limb gobbing n not yet flying down, while a mosquito lands on their nose and they can't scratch it, most kids nowadays will chose late night w video games and sleeping in tomo over it.
Think the blind option is much better but to each his own
Agree with you 100 percent. If it takes blinds to get kids hunting i'm all for it...We need as many of these kids hunting as we can. Blinds helps to keep the kids a lot more concealed and with kids you need plenty of snacks. Some people need to realize they are more than one way to hunt..

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 04, 2017, 11:54:59 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 04, 2017, 11:32:48 PM
Controversy aside, Double Bull makes the best blind out there and I have  a number of them from the old T2  & T5 to newer Dark Horse's and Double Wide's. they may cost a bit more initially but my oldest Double Bull blind is now 15 years old. 

You do need to take care of them and know how to set them up right. Not only to hunt out of but so there are not getting damaged through tough whether.

MK M GOBL
Not trying to high jack the thread,but hunt with my young son and also looking for another ground blind ...Love my ameristep intimadater,but think they discontinued them. I heard the Double Bulls don't have mesh windows????wondering if this is true because I want one,but would like the mesh windows.

Hey 1iagobblergetter the Double Bulls do have mesh, some of the older models it was sewn in place the newer design has a separate main window that allows you to remove them or replace. Depending on what you're looking for Double Bull/Primos has out 3 "New" blinds, the (T2) now the Shack Attack @ $249.99 and is a 2 hub blind and better for a single hunter / 2 at most. The (T5/Darkhorse) is now the Bullpen @$299.99 and will hunt 3, the door system here is a zippered "triangle" and has a large 180° window. And there is the Deluxe, the upgrade style with door/access improvement, a large 2 part opening that allows for much easier access. It also has the large window and new hubs, this blind is $399.99 and a $75 mail in rebate right now.

Just keep in mind these 5 hub style blind are designed to hunt as a "diamond" not a "square", when you set the blind the point/corner of your 180° is set facing your setup, this allows for the large opening to face your hunt and you are set in the back 180, there are a couple of "peek & shot" windows to the sides and behind you. I will also mention is staking down your blind is a big thing if you are going to leave it setup or in windy whether (the blind has 12 stake points). I have made some "double" blind sets when we have multiple "hunters" i.e. Last year's hunt I had a boy and a Dad and daughter out for the youth season and I made this set, the way I do this is by setting both 180 windows forward and line up the 2 smaller windows with each other, I have also done this with a Double Bull and a buddies Bale Blind with great results, it allows communication between each blind and has helped us "Double" on birds a number of times.

And the last thing with turkeys and blinds, you don't need to have the main 180 mesh window in, I have taken mine out and never use it for turkey (Whitetail is a different game) and as long as you understand that you want the back of the blind "Blacked Out" so there is no visible light paths through the blind a turkey don't care about motion inside the blind.

Here's a couple of them hunts!!

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

MKMGOBL , Great pics...I love seeing young kids having a great time and enjoying the outdoors. A blind gives my son the opportunity to actually be out long enough to be successful. Also a fun time we have is blind setting up day where we go set a couple blinds up the day before and just have some quality one on one time. I'm needing to replace one of our blinds and will need the 2 man Double Bull. Is the mesh an extra option you buy separate?Thanks for the great info..

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 05, 2017, 08:49:56 AM
MKMGOBL , Great pics...I love seeing young kids having a great time and enjoying the outdoors. A blind gives my son the opportunity to actually be out long enough to be successful. Also a fun time we have is blind setting up day where we go set a couple blinds up the day before and just have some quality one on one time. I'm needing to replace one of our blinds and will need the 2 man Double Bull. Is the mesh an extra option you buy separate?Thanks for the great info..

Thanks, I would be looking at the NEW Primos/Double Bull Deluxe (has the rebate) and yes mesh window included. Double Bull/Primos still offer a *Lifetime Warranty just as the original company did.

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 05, 2017, 09:09:48 AM

Thanks, I would be looking at the NEW Primos/Double Bull Deluxe (has the rebate) and yes mesh window included. Double Bull/Primos still offer a *Lifetime Warranty just as the original company did.

MK M GOBL
Great .....sounds exactly what im looking for..thanks for the great info...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 05, 2017, 09:21:06 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 05, 2017, 09:09:48 AM

MK M GOBL
Great .....sounds exactly what im looking for..thanks for the great info...

There was a version, of one of the Bullpens that did not include the mesh window and they had a clearance sale on those, it was a different camo pattern too. Maybe that's what the review you mentioned was about.

MK M GOBL

jims

I bought a double bull several years ago and boy is it SWEET!   Lots of room for several kids plus a dad.  The only problem is the turkeys I hunt in Nebraska don't want ANY part of a blind!  I hunt fairly open country.  If they see a blind it freaks them out and they head elsewhere to roost and feed!  I should probably sell my nearly new db because it just catches dust.  In a way I'm kindof glad because I really get a kick out of hiding out in the brush and bushwhacking them.  I can see where that would be tough with kids though.

2eagles

I have an old Primos Gunhunter blind, designed for one hunter. They've been discontinued and would love to find another one in good shape. Believe it or not, I enjoy sitting in it. A couple years back, I sat in the darn thing from before sunrise to about 6:30 pm, when I finally coaxed a nice tom to come visit my hen decoy. Eww, blinds and decoys, I know. LOL! I hunt small public grounds and many times the birds I shoot come in from private ground. I can't go after them, so I wait for them to come to me. It takes a lot of patience, but it sometimes pays off. If I had huge areas to hunt, I might take a different approach, but I'm playing the cards delt to me.

jims

2Eagles, you might check out primos website.  I believe they have 1 or 2 new blinds that are similar to the one you like!