turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by Life of Riley, June 23, 2016, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

What is the best blind out there? I bought an ameristep backcountry last year on sale and it seems decent. Roomy enough for 2 and sets up quick. After I bought it though I read that nylon can be really shiny to the vision of animals like deer and turkey. Was also wondering about a one man blind or maybe stakeout blind.

Bowguy

Turkeys pay zero attention to a blind, it's amazing how close theyll get to it even with a little kid not being perfectly still/quiet inside

slwayne

Love my Ameristep Brickouse.  Relatively cheap, relatively light, sets up quick and easy.  Like Bowguy said, turkeys pay zero attention to it.  I don't use it a lot because I prefer to be on the move more but it's great when the weather is bad or when I'm hunting with a newbie or kid who has a hard time staying still.  Have had turkeys walk so close to it that I could literally have reached out the window and grabbed them by the neck.

EZ

Just something to keep in mind and this is by no means a slam on anyone's method of hunting, but there are tons of "turkey killers" who don't use blinds. Just a thought.

Bowguy

Quote from: EZ on June 26, 2016, 09:31:57 AM
Just something to keep in mind and this is by no means a slam on anyone's method of hunting, but there are tons of "turkey killers" who don't use blinds. Just a thought.
There are certainly plenty of guys never use blinds but w kids they offer an added advantage. Least for fly down. After that running n gunning is blindless but the kids aren't sitting an hour in the dark or half light waiting for the games to begin. They can be kids n sleep, mess w a phone dimly lit, etc all w birds sleeping in view. Once they wake n start gobbling getting ready is no big deal.
Remember things aren't as they used to be, some kids are used to a faster paced life, I didn't say that's better but we gotta hook em w an awful lot of things vying for their time. Certainly we need to make it fun, sitting stock still while a bird sits on a limb gobbing n not yet flying down, while a mosquito lands on their nose and they can't scratch it, most kids nowadays will chose late night w video games and sleeping in tomo over it.
Think the blind option is much better but to each his own

TRG3

A hunting buddy of mine actually had a gobbler come from behind the blind in which he was calling and stick its head through the open front window! He let him get a ways out, then pulled the trigger on him. You never know what a turkey will do!

Flounder

What's the best blind out there? Double Bull. Imo.
I have several and take good care of all. I wash,spray and lube after each season. Waterproof each one.
I have bad joints due to a lot of Football. Blinds are awesome and no doubt increase my years hunting by many.
Flounder

mtns2hunt

I use a portable ameristep two man blind. It's portable and can be used in different locations and is great in bad weather. Two man is better in my opinion then the one man although just a bit heavier.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

saltysenior

Quote from: Flounder on June 29, 2016, 10:56:12 PM
What's the best blind out there? Double Bull. Imo.
I have several and take good care of all. I wash,spray and lube after each season. Waterproof each one.
I have bad joints due to a lot of Football. Blinds are awesome and no doubt increase my years hunting by many.
Flounder

just for kicks....on another thread i asked about empty blinds.  you say you have several. do you leave them out unused??? do you use public land ??? 
  I am not against blinds,  if I owned a ranch there would plenty out there.

silvestris

Myself, I despise blinds, as opposed to hides.  In an enclosed blind, I do not feel claustrophobic as such, but I feel that I have been deprived of the outdoor experience, i.e. the blue sky (hopefully), the forest panorama, etc.  A hide, on the other hand such as a downed tree, a few bushes stuck up in front, or a three foot stake up netting gives me the best of both worlds, some concealment along with the feeling of being there.  Sitting in a dark enclosure looking out of a hole just doesn't give me pleasure which is the reason I am out there.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

davisd9

Quote from: silvestris on October 14, 2016, 09:20:10 AM
Myself, I despise blinds, as opposed to hides.  In an enclosed blind, I do not feel claustrophobic as such, but I feel that I have been deprived of the outdoor experience, i.e. the blue sky (hopefully), the forest panorama, etc.  A hide, on the other hand such as a downed tree, a few bushes stuck up in front, or a three foot stake up netting gives me the best of both worlds, some concealment along with the feeling of being there.  Sitting in a dark enclosure looking out of a hole just doesn't give me pleasure which is the reason I am out there.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

stinkpickle

Quote from: silvestris on October 14, 2016, 09:20:10 AM

I know, right?  Using one of them fancy Dave Smith blinds is like cheatin'.  Using an old Feather Flex blind requires real skill.   ;)

Dtrkyman

MK M GOBL

Controversy aside, Double Bull makes the best blind out there and I have  a number of them from the old T2  & T5 to newer Dark Horse's and Double Wide's. they may cost a bit more initially but my oldest Double Bull blind is now 15 years old. 

You do need to take care of them and know how to set them up right. Not only to hunt out of but so they are not getting damaged through tough whether.

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 04, 2017, 11:32:48 PM
Controversy aside, Double Bull makes the best blind out there and I have  a number of them from the old T2  & T5 to newer Dark Horse's and Double Wide's. they may cost a bit more initially but my oldest Double Bull blind is now 15 years old. 

You do need to take care of them and know how to set them up right. Not only to hunt out of but so there are not getting damaged through tough whether.

MK M GOBL
Not trying to high jack the thread,but hunt with my young son and also looking for another ground blind ...Love my ameristep intimadater,but think they discontinued them. I heard the Double Bulls don't have mesh windows????wondering if this is true because I want one,but would like the mesh windows.