turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Yingling slate

Started by wvmntnhick, June 16, 2016, 09:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Fellas, I'm not a slate user at all. Never had much use for one. Mainly because I've never had what I felt to be a good one. Most have been production calls. I've got a few custom calls and found one that I thought to be a good one. Well, it's been replaced as of today. Got my Yingling slate in the mail today and that thing absolutely sings. You can get as soft or loud as you want. It purrs and clucks just as sweet as can be. In fact, the purring is phenomenal. You can go as light or aggressive as you want, and I do mean aggressive. Love it.

jed clampett

If that is the one you just got...i think sapwood walnut...I thought it sounded great....i think a few of mikes calls are on the hit list this year

Dr Juice

Hey brother. How about sharing a sound file and a couple of pics? Good luck with it! I love using a slate for purring, which got a thunder chicken to meet his demise with my cuz this year. I actually got up during the hunt, started walking away slowly while purring, and the Tom couldn't resist to follow. The happy ending to the story is that he walked right into my cuz's gun range. Final outcome - we celebrated!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: jed clampett on June 16, 2016, 10:51:43 PM
If that is the one you just got...i think sapwood walnut...I thought it sounded great....i think a few of mikes calls are on the hit list this year
That's the one and you'll not be sorry buying from Mike. He's a stand up fellow and will take care of you. One thing to remember though is that it's his hobby/passion and not a job. It's something he enjoys doing. Therefore, if it's not turkey, he's not going to send it out. I've got 6 of his calls (giving one of the coppers to my father though) and it wouldn't matter to me which went to the woods with me so long as I had at least one. His pots are my go to calls when relying on pot calls.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Dr Juice on June 17, 2016, 05:09:34 AM
Hey brother. How about sharing a sound file and a couple of pics? Good luck with it! I love using a slate for purring, which got a thunder chicken to meet his demise with my cuz this year. I actually got up during the hunt, started walking away slowly while purring, and the Tom couldn't resist to follow. The happy ending to the story is that he walked right into my cuz's gun range. Final outcome - we celebrated!
I'll send you one soon as I get a chance. Having said that, we're headed to the beach for a few days. Leaving Saturday. I've been so darned busy that I've not had a chance to do much lately. Gimme a shout around the 27th and I'll see what I can pull off. It's impressive though. Probably going to get rid of my other slate soon.

M,Yingling

Thanks again Kris ,,,glad u liked,,

I for some reason don't make to many slates  but throw one in their evey once and awhile and like said keep to mostly cherry walnut maple chestnut ,,, I was going keep that one but cant keep them all I guess lol

sound on the sappy walnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhoJISYT1C0

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

wvmntnhick

Quote from: M,Yingling on June 17, 2016, 10:38:26 AM
Thanks again Kris ,,,glad u liked,,

I for some reason don't make to many slates  but throw one in their evey once and awhile and like said keep to mostly cherry walnut maple chestnut ,,, I was going keep that one but cant keep them all I guess lol

sound on the sappy walnut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhoJISYT1C0
I, for one, am glad you didn't. That thing sounds amazing and very well may become one of my "go-to" calls. Like I've said in the past, I'm not a slate guy but this thing is great. Probably good I didn't have it as a youngster because it's likely the only call I'd own so long as I were hunting dry days. The weather and their inability to be "turkey" enough (in my opinion) is what's held me back in the past. Just couldn't get one to really suit my desires but I've changed my mind and that's not easy to do.

HFultzjr

That is one sweet sounding call.
:drool:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: HFultzjr on June 17, 2016, 05:30:42 PM
That is one sweet sounding call.
:drool:
Yes, yes it is. I'm telling you man, from a guy that's never fallen in love with a slate call, this thing is phenomenal.

hunter22

Here is my Yingling slate/slate. It is in a cast cactus pot. It has a 3-inch playing surface and is a killer. It will do great clucks and purrs in the center hole in the back. I am a huge fan of Mike's copper calls but his slate and glass are equally good.

Dr Juice

Gorgeous slate.

All The Way!

wvmntnhick

Well, now I'm jealous. That's a beautiful pot. I plan to get another cactus pot or two as time goes on.

Bowhuntr73