North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How well do you really think they hear?

Started by dirt road ninja, June 15, 2016, 08:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: silvestris on July 15, 2016, 04:01:51 PM
Brain waves decrease with distance and usually are more detrimental with a lone gobbler.  High winds also seem to cause interference.
Most of us on this forum probably are not emitting enough brain waves to have any detrimental effect...  Pretty much a non-issue for me (just ask my wife).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

crow

Kenny Morgan talking about older gobblers----"If you look directly at him and make eye to eye contact , he will most likely duck his head and be away from there faster than light itself."

this is basic brainwave communication, same as you "feeling" somebody staring at you in a crowded room

dejake

No it's not. It's prey seeing the two frontal eyes of a predator.

GobbleNut

Whew,...what a relief!  Finally, an explanation for so many gobblers not wanting to come to my calling.  It is now obvious that my brain is so powerful that they know I am around before I even start calling,...probably before I even get out of bed in the morning!  ...I'm headed in for a lobotomy right away (I know,...some of you thought I had already had one)!  ....Maybe after that, I will be able to kill me a gobbler!    :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Ihuntoldschool

Turkeys are always suspicious and paranoid by nature.  Anything that moves may be a predator and something that will try to kill and eat them. They know the area they call home like you know your living room. They can notice anything that looks out of place, anything new that wasn't there yesterday or anything that stands out. They will pick up the slightest movement or slightest sound that doesn't seem natural. They pinpoint the source of sounds especially turkey sounds with an uncanny ability. If they see something they don't like they will tuck tail and run, if they hear something they don't like they may do the same. Many times when a turkey gets close enough to see the hen but doesn't see the hen he gets suspicious and stops his advance. If he decides to investigate further and continue advancing towards the source of the unseen hen, he will normally proceed with caution and take a better (closer) look. This will be brief and often from a position that affords the turkey quick cover and an escape route. He may peek from behind a tree for a brief second and look for the hen he heard one last time. If no hen is seen he is gone quick in a hurry.  Turkeys often run off for what they don't see instead of what they do see/hear.
I have never considered brain waves while turkey hunting. I suspect that when a turkey tucks tail and runs off there is a more likely explanation than him receiving brain waves. Now, turkeys absolutely key in on predatory behaviors that we exhibit just like they observe these behaviors in other animals. But I have never believed they can read my mind and know that I plan to kill them.

silvestris

I remember one beautiful spring morning quite distinctly.  A gobbler had been answering me from an adjacent hollow.  He became silent and so did I.  About fifteen minutes later I began to get the distinct feeling that I was being watched.  I scanned my surroundings very carefully and after a couple of minutes I spotted the top portion of his head from above a fallen log.  In a few minutes, he stepped out and in due course I was able to pull the trigger on him.  The feeling I had was that "someone" was watching me and the feeling was extremely strong and proved to be correct.  Brain waves?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

owlhoot

Quote from: g8rvet on July 15, 2016, 01:10:19 PM
The other day, I saw Salma Hayek on TV.  I started thinking really hard that she should show up at my house, nekkid and in a good mood. 

Still waiting.

Coincidence?  Maybe.
maybe didn't work because of you being a nonbeliever  ::) 
Now the tv messed with the brainwaves with it own signal . You should know that  :TooFunny:
Anyway with a gal like her it is still worth trying  :z-guntootsmiley:

g8rvet

[/quote]nonbeliever  ::) 
[/quote]

The other day, my wife told me if I listened to one more Monkees song she was gonna whip my arse. I thought she was joking.   Then I saw her face...................................................
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

hotspur

Quote from: silvestris on July 11, 2016, 11:36:59 PM
I am surprised that no one has touched on the subject of brain waves.  In the early part of my turkey hunting career, I had several instances of gobblers tucking tail and running for no perceptible reason.  I changed my predator mindset and began to think of baseball once I decided that he understood my call and all of that tail tucking came to an end.  Insofar as hearing is concerned, they can hear a soft call from an almost unbelievable distance.
this is what happened with the gobbler I saw at 45 yards on the  second day of the season

Marc

The other day, I saw Salma Hayek on TV.  I started thinking really hard that she should show up at my house, nekkid and in a good mood. 

Still waiting.

Coincidence?  Maybe.
Quote from: owlhoot on July 19, 2016, 06:28:01 PMmaybe didn't work because of you being a nonbeliever  ::) 
Now the tv messed with the brainwaves with it own signal . You should know that  :TooFunny:

Maybe he needs a bigger antenna??? :goofball:

I have to admit, Selma Hyayek is on my list...  Good choice there.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Quote from: Marc on July 19, 2016, 11:44:32 PM

Still waiting.

Coincidence?  Maybe.
Quote from: owlhoot on July 19, 2016, 06:28:01 PMmaybe didn't work because of you being a nonbeliever  ::) 

Maybe he needs a bigger antenna??? :goofball:

I have to admit, Selma Hyayek is on my list...  Good choice there.
As a salt water fisherman, I can tell you small baits can still catch nice fish.   Thank goodness!   :lol:

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Still need a big pole to land them tho.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

lmbhngr

They can hear a gnat think 300 yds away :lol:

ferocious calls

Thier hearing often is better than thier judgement of what those sounds are.

I have been in a hunting situation where I swore there was no way the birds on the roost could hear my buddy making the lightest sound he could make on a box call I made for him. I mean so light, sitting 20 yds away it was very hard for me to hear. The birds were 300 yds at least in the roost. They heard him just fine. Was a great lesson for me.

lmbhngr

They can hear a gnat think at 300 yds. Enough said on this one