turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slaton copper and ???

Started by sixbird, June 11, 2016, 10:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Any suggestions on what striker would make an older Daryl Slaton copper call light 'em up???

Happy

I have a slayton copper but it's not that old.  A dymondwood and yellow heart work well for me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

sixbird

Quote from: Happy on June 11, 2016, 10:29:10 PM
I have a slayton copper but it's not that old.  A dymondwood and yellow heart work well for me.

Thanks Happy...I've used a hollow carbon striker on it and it does sound good but difficult to be consistent...

mossyhorn2

I don't have a Slaton copper call but black locust has always worked well on my copper calls.

sixbird

Happened to have a dymondwood here from another call...YES! What a difference!
Thanks!

sixbird

Been thinking about a black locust for some time...Might get one anyway...

ncturkey

What kind of strikers did you get with your Slaton copper pot? I use a few different laminated strikers I got from him that sound good. I got a Black Ebony that sounds great with the copper. My two different Persimmon Strikers on the copper as well. I am going to get me a Yellowheart striker next. I have heard they sound awesome.

sixbird

I'm not sure what wood he used...It's a thin striker. Looks like something in the oak family. It sounds good but I was looking for something with a little deeper sound quality...Dymondwood with a flair tip seems to be the ticket!

Jbird22

Zebrawood is a good choice for Copper.