OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cherry burl

Started by docost99, June 08, 2016, 12:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docost99

I have a few cherry trees on my property that have interesting burls. My dad also runs a Woodmiser bandsaw mill.
If I cut them, how thick should the lumber be sawn to use for pot calls? Of course, it would be kiln dried.

doublespurs21

I would cut them around 2 inches thick or so,, when burls dry, they will crack all over the place. seal the ends with something,  also, it will take  a year or so to dry,,,

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: doublespurs21 on June 08, 2016, 04:47:07 PM
I would cut them around 2 inches thick or so,, when burls dry, they will crack all over the place. seal the ends with something,  also, it will take  a year or so to dry,,,

x2...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

West Augusta

Use Anchor Seal to keep them from checking and burls need more time to dry than straight grain wood.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

New Yorker

I harvest several large cherry burls per year. I always cut my slices to 1.25 inches. Sometimes down to 1". in my opinion you are wasting a ton of wood at 2 inches. Cherry burl has a ton of cracks and voids, cutting it thicker will not make a difference in regards to that. I cut my blanks the day that i cut the slices and i anchor seal them. I also mark the center on each blnk before i seal them so that i don't have to sand off the sanding sealer to mark the blanks when they are ready to turn a year later after air drying.

docost99