turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cheap calls vs expensive calls

Started by supremepredator, June 05, 2016, 10:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

To a point doesn't matter the cost, if the hunter knows how to converse with a turkey they can make most anything work. But with high volume production calls it is inevitable you will find a few duds mixed in with the good ones.

I have purchased production calls over the years that are in a landfill somewhere. I also have a couple that ride in the vest. One summer, I found a Quaker Boy aluminum / black plastic pot in the clearance bin of a local box store, and its just perfect in every way. Couple of bucks for what is a production call in every sense of the word, and it is perfect. Loud, soft, playable, forgiving, takes a beating, plays well with different strikers, etc.

I also carry a couple high end trumpets, long boxes and pot calls calls as well. I just gravitate to what my ear likes, and that translates to confidence.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

SSCsnood

Mike Yingling or Lon Trice "Lonzo" on the aluminum pot call. They are fairly priced and very well made calls. Depending on the reason for wanting aluminum...I got one of the waterproof aluminum pots from Mike for the reason of hunting in the rain and it's a call that never leaves the vest because it sounds so good (to me and turkeys) The other call that never leaves my vest is a glass top Lonzo, they are both turkey killers. Buying a reasonably priced custom call is well worth the money IMO.

Gobble!

Quote from: supremepredator on June 05, 2016, 10:16:55 PM
I know more expensive calls like zink, woodhaven and gooserbat are fancier looking, but is there a real difference in performance or sound quality in these $$$ calls?

Sometimes.

At the NWTF show I wanted to buy an aluminum pot call. Narrowed it down to two. $100 call from Woodhaven or a $50 call from Obsession Calls. Woodhaven's booth at the convention was big. They had fancy lights and Scott Ellis their selling calls. Obsession's booth was just the owner and his kid/kids I believe. To my ears the calls sounded identical. The difference was Woodhaven needed that additional $50 to pay for all their marketing. Walked out of their with the Obsession pot.

Sir-diealot

I'm no expert but I have always believed that you get what you pay for. However.... I have also come to realize that in many things you end up paying for the name that was once quality and after they become known a bit you are paying for the name and not the quality. You have to take the time and weigh the two out. Just one dumb guys opinion.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

boatpaddle

Buying turkey calls is comparable to finding a good woman......

Some are much more cost effective then others..

Some are very expensive to get to know and then carry a very high cost factor to keep in your life....

Some are beautiful & some aren't......

Some are easy to get to know & others are quite tough to learn about...

Both pretty much make the same sounds, depending how they are played....

Both types can do what they were made for, but you need to spend time & effort to learn their sweet spot(s)

It's all about the choice of what makes you happy...

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

2dogs1name

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 23, 2018, 07:54:56 PM

Some are very expensive to get to know and then carry a very high cost factor to keep in your life....

Both types can do what they were made for, but you need to spend time & effort to learn their sweet spot(s)

Best. Post. Ever.

jims

I'm amazed that no one else hasn't chimed in about diaphragm calls!  The very best diaphragms are dirt cheap ($15) and if you are willing to practice are just as good as pot or box calls!  They may not be as pleasing to the eye as fancy wood but it sure is nice having hands free and only having to carry a tiny little call rather than several box, pot, or other calls plus strikers! 

outdoors

Quote from: 2dogs1name on February 23, 2018, 08:26:20 PM

Best. Post. Ever.
WOW I HAD A GOOD Laugh......... THANKS
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MK M GOBL

LOL Best read in a while!!

Might need to re-think my "I don't pick pretty, I pick performance" quote in this case LOL

MK M GOBL

Yoder409

I believe I have just been to the mountain...........................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 24, 2018, 06:44:39 PM

I believe I have just been to the mountain...........................

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

And some will tease you along, make you keep dumping piles of money into them, but in the end never pair up with you no matter what you do, or how hard you try.

Try as I may, I can't get a tube call to take a shine to me no way no how.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

ilbucksndux

I didnt read all the responses so please forgive me if im repeating anyone. I think it depends on whos hands(or mouth) the call is in. An expensive call in the hands of an inexperienced caller is not going to sound much if any different than a production call. An experienced caller can make a production call sound ok but have to work at it harder sometimes
Gary Bartlow

18javelin

I'd have to say it depends on what the bird wants to hear. I've have a power crystal fire up birds a custom glass call wouldn't.  Depends on several factors. One being if you can tune and run the call in your hands.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Difference is the beautiful turkey calls aren't crazy!!!!!!

boatpaddle

Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2018, 07:53:12 AM

Difference is the beautiful turkey calls aren't crazy!!!!!!
Lol....

If you find one that goobles good, does that qualify as a "KEEPER" ???

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome