OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Zebrawood tutorial please

Started by Happy hooker, June 02, 2016, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

Hi I know nothing about wood..wouldn't know a oak tree if it fell on me.
Zebrawood ????
Been looking around and it seems more and more that makers top call,signature model,"hot Commodity" pot call  is in Zebrawood.
Is this a trend or is it the beauty or does Zebrawood have that much better sound that you want it in your call of calls???
Seems like a topic and trend we should hear specifics about.

ccleroy

Zebrawood is known for its beautiful figure but there are many domestic woods that work just as well.

markjm15

Zebra wood is beautiful and sounds good but the wood is a little bit more pricey than your domestic woods. Depending on the maker, a glass/slate combo in a zebra pot will sound just as hot as it would in a walnut pot. I'm in no way bashing the use of zebra. I myself have used it and love it but I like using cheaper woods that can produce just as good of a sound. I personally love it for strikers though.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

New Yorker

Zebrawood was one of the first, and few exotics to win the grand nationals in Nashville. Depending on the call makers design it is an extraordinary tonal wood. It is much more beautiful than walnut and cherry and has the potential to produce a much higher quality sound. Like most other domestics, each call maker has to spend a lot of money finding the right dimensions for their unique design to bring out the best that zebrawood has to offer. Odds are good that anyone that says that it's nothing special, have not taken the time to work enough calls out of the wood, or simply do not have a design that works well with the wood. Yes it is a very special wood.

Triple B

Quote from: New Yorker on June 08, 2016, 02:57:43 AM
Zebrawood was one of the first, and few exotics to win the grand nationals in Nashville. Depending on the call makers design it is an extraordinary tonal wood. It is much more beautiful than walnut and cherry and has the potential to produce a much higher quality sound. Like most other domestics, each call maker has to spend a lot of money finding the right dimensions for their unique design to bring out the best that zebrawood has to offer. Odds are good that anyone that says that it's nothing special, have not taken the time to work enough calls out of the wood, or simply do not have a design that works well with the wood. Yes it is a very special wood.
Very good explanation, that says it all.

West Augusta

I have a couple of Zebrawood calls that sound great.  One, a glass over glass from Glen Marrer has the front pocket in my vest and has led to the demise of several gobblers.  I'm not sure if it's the Zebrawood or the call makers skill that made these calls sound better.  All I know is that I like them and will order more if available.

As for strikers?  I have found some Zebrawood to be softer than other.  I'm sure that the harder type would make a very good striker but most of what I get when I order it is of the softer type.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.