turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

recoil for 3 1/2" auto vs 3" pump

Started by agent eight seven O, June 16, 2016, 06:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent eight seven O

Have been thinking of picking up a 935. Would the recoil of a 3" shell from an 835 be comparable to a 3 1/2" shell from a 935?

decoykrvr

Way too many variables for a simple "yes or no" answer.  For a viable comparison you will need to shoot the guns yourself w/ the shot shells which approximate the payload and velocity of the loads with which you will be hunting.  I personally don't feel the recoil when shooting at a gobbler vs. the same recoil generated during patterning.  With that said, I've literally been knocked goofy w/ recoil from 3 1/2", 12 gauge and 10 gauge shotguns while taking shots at gobblers while leaning off pose or balance and not in my normal turkey hunting stance.

dirt road ninja

I own both guns and notice ZERO difference in recoil between the two. Both are equally brutal.

Don't buy the 935 to avoid recoil, you will be disappointed.

davisd9

Buy the 835/935 to kill turkeys. Recoil from them is nothing when staring down at a red and white head.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VAarrowslinger

No. I have both the 935 and 835. The recoil from my 26" 935 feels no less than the 835 when shooting 3.5" shells

SCDieselDawg

Like the others.  I also own both guns and can't tell a difference in recoil in either one.

jordanz7935

Quote from: agent eight seven O on June 16, 2016, 06:38:43 AM
Have been thinking of picking up a 935. Would the recoil of a 3" shell from an 835 be comparable to a 3 1/2" shell from a 935?
The 935s are  Great turkey and waterfowl guns. Mine has been the death of a lot of of gobblers. I know my 935 kicked less with a 3.5' than the old 870 with 3" shells and the hard rubber "recoil pad'.That was with 3" & 3.5" federal turkey thugs.Obviously, YMMV with different shells. 3.5" can definately be brutal when shooting geese from a layout blind but I can't ever remember feeling a 3.5" when shooting @ a gobbler. Like has been said, don't buy the 935 if your looking for a "soft shooting" 3.5" gun. I don't think a soft shooting 3.5" gun exists lol, they generate more recoil than a .375 H&H.Recoil is kind of a funny thing, its all how its perceived.

wvmntnhick

While the gas system of the 935 may absorb some of the recoil, it won't be enough to get excited about based on what I've heard from others that own them. I believe it has more to do with the overall way the Mossberg guns are designed. I'm pretty sure that the engineer that designed the 835 had his ex wife's new boy toy in mind when putting it together. Either that or he was a flat out sadist. I've had a few 835's over the years. Only have one at the moment. Loved all of them but when something new popped up, they were also the first to go. Now, if you're looking for a light kicking 3.5" gun, you might want to look into a used SX2 or even an SX3 if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Ihuntoldschool

3 1/2 inch out of the 935 will exceed 3 inch out of the 835 on the recoil scale.  Both the 835 and 935 pattern well as they were designed for 3 1/2 inch shells. Don't buy it thinking that it will make the 3 1/2 inch shells pleasant to shoot.  But I don't notice it when shooting a turkey.    If you need/want to shoot 3 1/2 inch and really tame the recoil the Remington Versamax would be your best option. 

BINK McCARTY

Best thing to ease recoil...LIMBSAVER recoil pad,or ifn one will fit ( it did on my dad-i-laws 835 ) get a Remington Supercell recoil pad....this is HANDS -DOWN THE BEST RECOIL PAD EVER MADE,BY ANY MANUFACTURER EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!