OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Paul Platz...Wait time!

Started by LongSpur440, May 17, 2016, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongSpur440

I text paul last night to see what the wait time on a cherry pot was and he said at least 1.5-2 years! My question is with all the good call makers why is his wait so loooong? Is there something so different in his calls to make the wait worth it? I mean ive seen his video of them and like them but 2 years is forever. I may not even like turkey hunting in 2 years ;D. Anyway if someone has any more info on the wait time i would like to know.

thx

skimerhorn

I ordered a cherry slate last may and text him a couple weeks ago and he said there was like 20 people in front of me and he wasn't sure when it'd be done

Roost 1

I waited over a year for a cherry slate, finally got it in Feb or this year. Odd thing is the date on the call was 2013......

LongSpur440

I understand if its a part time thing but still is it worth it since you have other good call makers without that long to wait?

MattinIdaho

Probably not worth the wait if your just needing a great call to kill turkeys with. But if your playing your calls year round because you enjoy them just like you would picking up a great guitar then yes. Those long wait call guys are worth it. There is a reason for the wait with these guys. But to be sure, there are many lessor known call makers with shorter to no waits that make some fantastic sounding and beautiful calls.

Spitten and drummen

im waiting on my 3 . only a year and a half roughly now lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

870BkWht

I fully realize that many of the call makers don't do call making full time but 2 years is a little much. I would think that it would make more sense to stop taking orders for a while until you could catch up.

That being said, I've never had a platz or Dawkins call and I have no idea what they sound like, but I truthfully don't see what all the fuss is for. There a very plain jane looking call and I just don't get what makes then so special. 

I will say that I have calls from other DD Adams winners (Halloran, Anderson, Trice) and I didn't have to wait for two years and I got a beautiful call with turned strikers and they probably kill turkeys just the same.

To each their own I guess

scoot12

I talk to Paul quite a bit and like was said,  callmaking is a hobby and Paul does it part time.  When guys call they will order 4 pots at a time and thats one of the main reasons his wait time is long.  Scoot

TauntoHawk

a long wait list and hard access to a call makes them more desirable.. A lot of guys are turkey hunters/call collectors

Worth it is always going to be a relative term... I don't need any of these custom calls really if it came down to it I could go to the woods with a mouth call and still hunt but I'd lose a lot of the fun in buying, practicing and playing all sorts of customs

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MattinIdaho

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 17, 2016, 03:07:04 PM
a long wait list and hard access to a call makes them more desirable.. A lot of guys are turkey hunters/call collectors

Worth it is always going to be a relative term... I don't need any of these custom calls really if it came down to it I could go to the woods with a mouth call and still hunt but I'd lose a lot of the fun in buying, practicing and playing all sorts of customs

Me to!! :agreed:

Bowguy

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 17, 2016, 03:07:04 PM

Funny I used almost those exact words talking to Letinmfly last week. For years mouth calls were all I used, I have no problem w them nor do I feel handicapped using one but I love running all sorts of calls.
Btw my wait time was less than year.

Bowguy

:mycross:
Quote from: LongSpur440 on May 17, 2016, 10:57:06 AM
I text paul last night to see what the wait time on a cherry pot was and he said at least 1.5-2 years! My question is with all the good call makers why is his wait so loooong? Is there something so different in his calls to make the wait worth it? I mean ive seen his video of them and like them but 2 years is forever. I may not even like turkey hunting in 2 years ;D. Anyway if someone has any more info on the wait time i would like to know.

thx
If you're not sure you'll even like turkey hunting in a few years you're a freak! Just kidding buddy. There are lots of makers you can get calls from sooner.
You can place an order n cancel or sell it if you change your mind. Id recommend if undecided you get another call n use that for now. Remember though if he's a year or so out n you place order now you might actually get call before next season

Roost 1

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 17, 2016, 11:13:15 AM
I waited over a year for a cherry slate, finally got it in Feb or this year. Odd thing is the date on the call was 2013......

Let me correct this, date is 2015. My apologies to Paul!! I have looked at this call several times and always thought is was 2013.... Sorry for any confusion. I will say this it's worth the wait and my name is back on his list for another....

Jbird22

I totally understand why Paul, Clint, etc.. have those kind of wait times (due to having full time jobs and families) but a two year wait just isn't for me. I am not a collector though but I do understand why the guys who are decide the wait is worth it. To each his own as they say...

diesel79

I ordered one of the double sided ones in December.  I was told a year at that time.   I'm thinking about adding a cherry slate onto the order.