OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Primos power crystal

Started by wvmntnhick, May 16, 2016, 02:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Anyone have an older model? If not, can anyone tell me what they've changed in the old ones vs the new ones? I had one several years ago and it sounded great so long as I did my part. Didn't do much of my own calling at the theme as I hunted with a close friend and he took care of most of that. This year, I've had to get together a couple different calling "bags." One was for the all morning hunts, one for the "I can only hunt for an hour" mornings and one more for the wet mornings that I didn't want to destroy any of my good calls. I'm thinking that if I could get another good power Crystal, it could work well in one of my short hunt bags. I've found the new ones online but I'm betting they've changed something much like what happened with the ol' yeller calls from knight and hale.

perrytrails

The new ones sound dead to me. Glue?? Who knows but somethings different.

I bought my son one years ago and it sounds great to this day.

If anyone has a older one, and by chance has a IPE striker, try it. I bet you will like it!!!!

wvmntnhick

That's what I needed to know. Wasn't sure if it was a conditioning thing or what. If they all sound like that, I'll steer clear.

Mutt 1

A second nod for the Ipe striker!  Ipe runs well on most call surfaces.

grayfox

I had one 7-8 years ago that sounded good for a couple years & then like another poster said it became dead. I found if I held down on the top edge of the crystal surface it would come back to life. I bought a new one & it was the same way right out of the package so I returned it. I believe Primos has some problems with the glue not holding down the surface very good.

wvmntnhick

Well, I found one at a price that was hard to pass. Figured if it sucked, I'd give it away to someone that was getting started and just wanted to learn some basics. It actually sounds like the one I used to have. It's going straight into the crappy weather bag and will live the remainder of its useful days there.

Cottonmouth

I have one that's about 12-15 yrs old. I'm really more of a slate guy. If you are interested,  pm me and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'm sure it's in one of my totes.

Dr Juice

I have an older one and I better go check it to see if it died. :-)

wvmntnhick

Quote from: mlisandro on May 28, 2016, 03:06:26 PM
I have an older one and I better go check it to see if it died. :-)

If you've got an older one, I'm sure it's fine.

jed clampett

I had a promos power crystal years ago...it sounded great for about 2 years then all of a sudden it was dead sounding...i contacted promos and they sent me a brand new one..it went dead after about a year don't know what it is that makes em do that...i just gave up on them...its sound was as good as any custom pot I had.