OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question

Started by boatpaddle, May 09, 2016, 01:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatpaddle

My question is this.....

How can you guys tell the difference between certain calls that have the same materials...IE: crystal over aluminum....

I digitally recorded a Roberts zebrawood crystal & a MAC Blue Mahoe crystal at 35-40 yards in the woods....If I didn't know which call I ran first, I wouldn't have known which sound belonged to which call....Both calls were all turkey....

Utterly amazing how many great sounding calls out there on the market today.... :icon_thumright:

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

SteelerFan

I'm pretty sure it's next to impossible to distinguish the subtle differences in sound between two similar pot configurations. Same way as I'm sure it doesn't matter much with the subtle differences with the variety of woods used in the pots, or the strikers for that matter... at 40+ yards.

But that's no fun!!  :camohat:

gergg

Wood definitely makes a difference, but so does everything else.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

SteelerFan

Quote from: MDTOM84 on May 09, 2016, 08:20:48 PM
Not sure but I know for a fact that the Roberts Poplar and zebrawood bronzed glass over aluminum sound completely different using the same striker. So I think what wood the pot is made out of does make a difference. Just my thoughts

I would agree poplar vs zebrawood most likely has different sound due to density - and I'm not happy about your review... It's gonna cost me money!  ;D I was going more along the lines of woods with similar density.

I do believe though, as much as I hate to admit it, we all get a little carried away with "combinations". But hey, Baskin-Robbins made a business out of offering more than just chocolate ice cream! Lol

boatpaddle

How do you decide which call to keep, if your interested in selling the other one??

Is there something in the soft/loud calling of one, ease of play, or the call sounds great with most strikers, that helps make the choice...Responses from gobblers ??

I'm not a callmaker, so I assume ::), that wood density, pot thickness, distance from the sound board to the surface material & other variables all play into the sound of a call...

Thanks for the reply's......

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

wvmntnhick

Quote from: boatpaddle on May 09, 2016, 09:57:41 PM
How do you decide which call to keep, if your interested in selling the other one??

Is there something in the soft/loud calling of one, ease of play, or the call sounds great with most strikers, that helps make the choice...Responses from gobblers ??

I'm not a callmaker, so I assume ::), that wood density, pot thickness, distance from the sound board to the surface material & other variables all play into the sound of a call...

Thanks for the reply's......

The decision is easy. Send me the Schaffer and you keep the Roberts. Or the other way around. Makes no matter to me.

Actually, I'd base the decision on playability. If one runs a bit smoother than the other and requires a bit less conditioning, that's the one you keep.

TauntoHawk

Keep or carry what works best on the gobblers, or keep them all and just run a rotation. I often retire a call after it killed a few gobblers and try and go kill a few more with a new call or new style. I've called in a bunch with pots last few years so I stopped using them altogether for the most part last year and replaced them with scratch boxes and killed a handful last season with the that style.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

drenalinld

that's easy, keep them all??? I have a good number of really fine calls. Couldn't get responses to any of them this season here in AR. Trumpets, scratch boxes, short boxes, long boxes, pots of all surface types all were ignored by gobblers even my locator calls failed but I got great response from mouth calls.

Triple B

Quote from: drenalinld on May 10, 2016, 09:31:17 AM
that's easy, keep them all??? I have a good number of really fine calls. Couldn't get responses to any of them this season here in AR. Trumpets, scratch boxes, short boxes, long boxes, pots of all surface types all were ignored by gobblers even my locator calls failed but I got great response from mouth calls.
Good point.You never know from one day to the next, what the birds are going to like.So just to have some other options of calls, ups your odds for success.

boatpaddle

Thanks for the replys..... :icon_thumright:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome