Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season AAR (After Action Review)

Started by anthonyjhallen, May 06, 2016, 09:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyjhallen

Unfortunately my season is over even though we have another week of hunting here in TX. I wouldn't call my season a total failure purely because of the amount of time I was able to spend in the woods but it was pretty tough hunting throughout. After each season I try to take a look back and learn every year. It the military we call this action an AAR or After Action Review.

Here is what I learned this year:

-  You must be able to call turkeys in regardless of where they are in their breeding cycle. This cycle is always moving from year to year and being able to identify their mindset and apply it to you strategy will make you more successful.

-  Hearing loss sucks. 15 years around loud noises has taken its toll on my ears and it was obvious when people I was in the woods with could hear birds that I had no clue where gobbling. I am not sure how to fix it but if there is a way I will figure it out.

-  You have to expect to have a bird come to the call silent at any minute. 

-  You can kill just as many birds without a decoy than you can using them.

-  Deer will ruin your hunt if you are not paying attention not to bust them.

- Cactus suck. Just walk around. 

I will update this list as I think of more things but I encourage each of you to do the same. This is a thinking mans game. Take time to write things down so you don't forget them next year.

Unfortunately this is my last year hunting for awhile. The Army has decided to send myself and my family on another extended overseas assignment. It will be beneficial to my career in the military but my career as a turkey hunter will suffer. If I get to hunt anything at all for the next three years it will be a blessing. That also means that I will not be able to be with the team for that time but I will be back eventually, and most likely enjoying retirement.

With all the things going on at work and home that will are required the next few months I will have to sign off the net for awhile. You guys keep the team going and save a spot for me when I get back stateside. Lord willing I will be back spring of 2019. 

I thanks you for your commitment to the team.  Its been an honor getting to know you.

This is me signing off,  Crusader 6 OUT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Good luck with future endeavors and I very appreciate yall allowing me to join the team.... Looking forward to your return in '19. God bless and stay safe!! Thank you and your family for your service to our great country.

honker22

Good luck Anthony!  Thanks for your service.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

GobbleNut

Sorry to hear that you are leaving us, Anthony,...but we understand the situation.  Until we hear from you again,...good luck and stay safe, my friend.
...Try to check in once in a while...
Jim

wvmntnhick

Man that sucks but good luck with the new placement. I hope all goes well. As for things learned:

-trespassers will ruin a hunt very quickly. It happened this morning in fact. Had a very interesting conversation.

-having a guy that thinks he's a turkey Hunter hunting your best lease will drastically decrease your odds. It's ruined the roosting pattern all together.

-birds that have already been peppered two weeks before are going to require a bit more finesse than I'm apparently capable of at the moment.

That's about it for the moment.

cmadams