Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ran my glass and crystal smooth today any suggestions?

Started by yelpy, May 06, 2016, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelpy

I conditioned them with drywall paper and the surfaces smoothed right back out with a few yelps. I then tried the stone stick and got the same results. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the surfaces scuffed back up that will last without ruining the calls?

jed clampett

I think you mean drywall screen??...i condition mine till it is really scratched up...almost white...what call are you doing it on....bronze glass an crystal take little work

jed clampett

Another question...has it ever been conditioned...if it is smooth you need to work on it a bit

yelpy

Quote from: jed clampett on May 06, 2016, 09:31:57 PM
Another question...has it ever been conditioned...if it is smooth you need to work on it a bit

Thanks

Both have been conditioned. Yes I meant drywall screen. I will try conditioning them some more and see what happens. What grit sand paper would I use if I were to use paper? I even cleaned the surfaces with acetone thinking I might have got something on them from a striker because I was playing around with a bunch.

1iagobblergetter

I use I believe it's 800 grit drywall paper on my glass calls always sanding in the same direction and never every which way or back in forth over the same spot which will just smooth it back out. Maybe off point but I also dedicate my strikers to one call. I might be completely wrong but I would think you would transfer different particles from pot to pot from your striker tips if you forget to condition the tips. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.I've had a few of my glass pots for 15 yrs doing it this way with no problems.

Fieldturkey

I use 100 grit drywall screen but crystal does get slick faster than glass.

Stump.270

Get a good diamond stone from Halloran or Lonzo and then get the glass Arkansas stone from mid west the diamond stone will ruff it up good and the Arkansas will smooth it up you will get a clear sound also 220 grit lightly scuffing your striker if it doesn't sound good after that get a better call ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump.270

Look on YouTube there is a video of david conditioning calls i lay them on a flat table or counter and go back and forth but don't push down to hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

if it doesn't sound good after that get a better call ha ha

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

yelpy

No need for a better call but I will be getting more anyway!! I will check out the diamond and Arkansas stone. I spent a good 1/2 hour on each call last night and they slicked right back up really quick today. I am thinking they need a good rough scuffing and maybe less pressure on the striker when running them.

Thanks for the reply's!!!!!

SteelerFan

Yep... you have something else going on. You should be able to condition that call in about 30 seconds. You may be putting WAY too much pressure on the striker.

boatpaddle

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 07, 2016, 02:59:59 PM
Yep... you have something else going on. You should be able to condition that call in about 30 seconds. You may be putting WAY too much pressure on the striker.

Yep...

Clean your striker tips with a pocket knife going with the grain will help, too....

Are you running soft wood strikers on these calls ??
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

yelpy

Quote from: boatpaddle on May 07, 2016, 03:09:23 PM

Yep...

Clean your striker tips with a pocket knife going with the grain will help, too....

I am running diamond wood strikers on both.

whiskey

Quote from: yelpy on May 07, 2016, 05:53:50 PM
Quote from: boatpaddle on May 07, 2016, 03:09:23 PM

Yep...

I am running diamond wood strikers on both.

My diamond wood striker slicks up fast with glass calls. It seems to me like It's the striker more than the call anyway.

yelpy

I believe the harder woods will smooth the surface faster. I am thinking the Glass and crystal dust on the call is what might cause the surface to get slick again after running the calls over time. I'm thinking the build up on the striker will actually polish the surface.