Previous topic - Next topic

Jakemob

2016 Spring Turkey Season

Affectionately Known as Project Tight Wad: My Introduction to Turkey Hunting

Project manager: Natalie   a.k.a.  my bride

Lead technician: Jake mob    a.k.a    Eric/owner of Project Tight Wad

Lead project consultant: Sixbird   a.k.a. Glenn

Optics/sights consultant:  Tim   a.k.a. Tim

Project editor:  squrlygurly  a.k.a  Chelsea.

Project Tightwad began with the purchase of a rather worn and rusted Remington 870 Magnum with a 26" barrel. The purchase price for this well-used gun was $50. The gun, having been primarily used for duck hunting, had begun misfiring around the 15th round fired, which is why the purchase price was so reasonable. Upon inspection of the gun myself, I was able to confirm consistent firing of two or three shots in a row for a dozen times or so without problem. I reckoned this was sufficient for turkey hunting with no gun smithing required, which pleased the project manager. With the gun selected, I contacted Sixbird to determine and prioritize modifications needed for turkey hunting. Sixbird indicated choke selection was priority one. After much consideration and research on Old Gobbler, Sixbird referenced half a dozen chokes for me to try with the 870. I, on the other hand, with no research, stumbled across a choke aptly named Tightwad. Considering at $35 it was the least expensive of the chokes, it was purchased. Again this pleased the project manager. Now it was time to see how well project Tightwad patterned. I contacted Sixbird who again diligently researched what Shot would work best in my 870, though this time I heeded his recommendations. (See photos below.)

Jakemob

It was determined, as seen in the photos above, that the Winchester Longbread Number Six shot works best in Project Tightwad. Sixbird agreed and indicated that the patterns were more than sufficient for turkey hunting.

Moving on to the second priority, as per Sixbird: sights selection. He reached out to "Tim,"  our optics consultant, explaining to Tim the primary consideration of project Tightwad (cost). He recommended a Tru-Glo red dot sight. In addition to his recommendations, he contributed, at no cost, from his own personal inventory a sight mount that didn't require any machining of the 870's receiver.  While awaiting delivery of the true glow red dot sight, I painted the stock, attempting to do a digital camera pattern. This ended up being the only aspect of the project that I was disappointed with. After purchasing & mounting of the sight, stock modifications were required, with my cheek being 1 1/2" off the stock to see the red dot. Initially I was lusting over a Remington synthetic camo thumbhole stock, to the point of even checking legality for the communist State of New Jersey. Though better judgment won out—or fear of approaching the project manager with insufficient justification for the purchase of said stock. Sixbird promptly forwarded numerous options for slip-on comb-raising kits, many very inexpensive. Though looking at the kits gave me the idea to attempt making my own comb raiser from a piece of 2 x 4. (See photos below.)

Jakemob

With the comb raiser complete, I was struggling with a mounting system. I attempted to make an L bracket that bolted behind the butt plate, but I was concerned with the front of the comb not being stable enough, so I contacted Sixbird. He suggested to just put a couple screws right into the stock  from the top of the comb. I expressed some concern about splitting the stock, but it was agreed that that would only give me sufficient justification to purchase the Remington thumb hole stock. In the end Sixbird's idea worked really well. The comb was very stable and the height correct. (see photos below)

Jakemob

The only thing remaining was the mounting of a donated sling (thanks Sixbird). Rather than purchase any parts, I took a bolt and modified it for the front mount and drilled and tapped the cap. For the rear of the sling, I took a screw and modified it as seen in the photos below.

Jakemob

With the gun complete, Sixbird and I did some additional sighting-in with the new comb. Project Tightwad was ready.

The First Hunt with Project Tightwad
Shortly after daybreak, Sixbird's calling resulted in a gobble. Not long after, the tom was standing on the edge of the field, checking out the decoy. With some additional coaxing, Sixbird brought the tom within range, and while waiting for an opportunity to shoot, four jakes were coming through the soybean field on our left, with only their heads showing, like four periscopes on submarines. When they broke cover of the soybeans on a dead run into the open area of the decoy, they resembled the raptors in Jurassic Park, attacking the tom, who quickly fled with one of those jakes literally hanging off its neck. Shortly thereafter, the juvenile wolfpack came back to check out the decoy, and in the process one came within 15 feet of the end of my barrel, at which point I was actually afraid to shoot for fear of missing—I did mention this was my first time—since I think my pattern would've been an inch wide tops. Soon the wolfpack calmed down and started to meander away from the decoy, giving me the opportunity to shoot one. We paced it off at 42 yards and pictures were taken, etc. Project Tightwad was a success! Sadly the pictures taken in the field were lost when my iPhone was drowned. But I have a picture of the mount!

Jakemob

On the last day of the season I had an opportunity on my own farm to fill my farm permit tag with my first tom. 21 ½  lbs with a 10-inch beard and three-quarter inch spurs. (See pictures below.)

Jakemob

Thanks to everyone involved in project Tightwad, and a special thank you to Frank!
I started writing this a few weeks prior to the start of the 2017 season, and though it's likely no season will be as memorable as the first, I'm still really looking forward to my second season. I guess I'm hooked.

"Jakemob"

sixbird

Great recount of events leading to that glorious moment! Couldn't have been happier to see you succeed in both the project and the two hunts. That was a moment, that first bird and the attending events...
Now on to this season!