Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another Va bird down-and an upgrade.

Started by Mountainburd, April 30, 2016, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountainburd

It's been a tough season for me this year.  I have not missed many days and I've been on them hard.  I had a couple safety off, one more step scenarios that did not pan out.

Fast forward to today, I had near silence at daybreak except a very distant bird that only sounded off twice.  I went on the move all morning and finally heard a bird gobbling good on the opposite ridge with nearly vertical hillsides, so I had to get where he was.  By the time I got to him, silence.

I decided to sit around 0930 to do some calling and just see if I could strike one up.  Sure enough, within 20 minutes I had two birds gobbling from a long ways off, but cutting the distance.  Well all at once I see him coming at around 100 yards, right down the trail I was sitting on.  He gobbled his way in breaking in and out of strut, before I finally settled the red dot on him at just around 45-50 yards.  That was all she wrote.

He's a double bearded bird with some pretty good hooks on him.  I for some reason cannot load  pictures on here so Wildspur will post them up later.

Deputy 14

Twowithone

Way to go Joe  :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WildSpur

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

TURKEYWHACKER

RutnNStrutn

Stud gobbler!! We needed that for the team!! Way to go!! :icon_thumright: :you_rock: