turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advice on slate calls

Started by Life of Riley, April 27, 2016, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I'm going turkey hunting for the 1st time in 2 1/2 weeks. I bought a Cody II glass call at Cabelas last week and have been clucking on it every day since. I've got all the calls down at a very basic level except the kee kee I can't get to work right every time. This glass is pretty loud so I'm looking to buy a good slate pot in case it's a calm weekend when I hunt. If there's anyone who has tried a bunch of different slates and found a favorite and wants to share that with me I'd much appreciate it. Thanks for helping a rookie hunter.

mfilandino

Hankyorke

Quote from: mfilandino on April 27, 2016, 06:51:15 PM
Lonnie Sneed hot hen

Agreed, IF Lonnie can get him one in 2.5 weeks.

or

Natural Addiction
Halloran Laminate
Lonzo

Jroddc

Halloran laminate
Lonzo Birdseye maple
Schaffer Red hen

Life of Riley

Does lonnie have a website? I can't find much info on his calls.

Hankyorke

No website. Use the search function here, you'll find his contact info and 300+ threads that mention his calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

Lonnie has a phone number... that's about as high tech as he gets. And he's in the woods everyday now. Might catch him afternoons.

304-425-3021

Bowguy

Quote from: Jroddc on April 27, 2016, 07:36:20 PM
Halloran laminate
Lonzo Birdseye maple
Schaffer Red hen
Those are great choices. You can always run Schafers tear drop or a trough call if you wanna be real light n realistic

SteelerFan

I'm sure you may have already done some homework on calling tips, but just in case - here's a couple of reference videos on using the calls. There are a ton of videos available on the web. I like to save my favorites in a folder that I can click on for the occasional reference - ESPECIALLY live bird recordings.

Using a pot call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLkLbO0a80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPcGzqHoo7Y

Some turkey talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkuGbYfjts

wcerin

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but lets not forget about Lee Chadwick at Misfire Game Calls. I have a Walnut slate from him that I sure am fond of!!
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

3rdDay

I can build you one and have it shipped by Monday. If you are on Facebook look up 3rd Day Calls. Or shoot me a PM with your number and I can send you pictures and video of my calls.

Triple B

Quote from: 3rdDay on May 12, 2016, 05:17:08 PM
I can build you one and have it shipped by Monday. If you are on Facebook look up 3rd Day Calls. Or shoot me a PM with your number and I can send you pictures and video of my calls.
At this time of year ,that might be as good of a an offer you will find. You can check with other callmakers, to see what they have on hand. Very busy time of year for most of the guys...

MattinIdaho

I would feel very very very confident in recommending the exact same pot you have in glass but in the slate version. Tons of killer custom calls and callmakers out there. And it's a great hobby to look into. But I think that Cody 2 slate is a sick running slate!!

New Yorker

Are you squeezing your striker much tighter than your normal grip? With the right hand technique on your striker, you can make most calls kee kee