OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best dedicated turkey gun for $500

Started by MikeStaten, April 27, 2016, 08:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I've been using my Benelli M2 12 gauge but I also use that gun for other hunting applications and there is no easy way swap a red dot or open sights on and off the gun so I'm thinking of picking up a dedicated turkey gun. 

I plan on using 12 gauge 3" shells but I'm not opposed to having a 3.5" chamber.  I'd prefer a semi but for my budget I assume I will have to go with a pump.  I'd like the gun to be generally lightweight, max barrel length of 24" and if a pump, I'd prefer for the pump not to rattle around like crazy while walking around.

Thanks,
Mike

mote1977

I picked up a used/like new Mossberg 930 turkey last year for $400 and have been very happy with it.

Spring Creek Calls

I would look for a used 1300 Winchester with a 22" choke tube barrel.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

MikeStaten

Are those 1300s better than the current SXP?

jac63

Probably not a real popular choice but a few years ago I was looking for much the same thing. Had to be semi auto for me, reliable, & looks didn't matter for this purpose. After a good bit of research over on shotgun world I went with a wood stocked Stoeger M2000. It is a 3" inertia action gun w/26" barrel, NIB I got it for $400 on gun broker. Came with a 5 factory chokes including a XF turkey tube. Added a cantlever 20", choke tube acceptable, smooth bore barrel for $180. Then put a Bushnell 1.75-4 power scope on the cantlever barrel. Total cost w/scope and transfer fee right around $600. Could have come well under that with a used gun. I don't use it for anything but turkeys but I could swap the barrels and still use it for something else very easily if I wanted. I've been using it for several years now and it has been exactly what I hoped it would be. It's ugly but functional and 100% reliable and I don't mind dragging it through the brush and mud like I would my Brownings.

Swampchickin234

Hit up some pawn shops and used gun racks and you might be surprised what ya find.  Good luck in your find

Myself, if I was doing it today, would buy a pre 2005 rem 870, put synthetic stocks on if ya hae to, put on some Williams fire sighs or tru glo mags, and you'll still have a hundred bucks or a little over for chokes and shells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

Mossberg 535 is really light for a 12 gauge. When a pump starts to rattle you can fix it by putting pieces of furniture slider under the forearm.

If you're near an academy store, check out the yildiz o/u. They're light. You might get one and a choke under budget. I sure like my 20.

Sand Man

870 youth 20ga.  Mine rigged out with a Knoxx Stock and Burris FFII is around $500.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

MikeStaten

That's a nice looking rig right there.  How far do you get decent patterns with it?  Are you using Federal Heavyweight 7?

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: MikeStaten on April 27, 2016, 02:39:25 PM
Are those 1300s better than the current SXP?

The 1300 is a much better gun. I was disappointed in the SXP.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Sand Man

Quote from: MikeStaten on April 28, 2016, 10:08:34 AM
That's a nice looking rig right there.  How far do you get decent patterns with it?  Are you using Federal Heavyweight 7?

Thanks.  I load TSS for my gun.  Let's just say it's as good (I'd argue better) as any 12ga you've seen with over the counter ammo.  40 yards isn't a problem.  I have friends that shoot HW 7's with great results.  Even watched a 10 year old girl kill her first bird this year with one at a ranged 42 yards with 1oz of #6 lead.  It's all in knowing and patterning your gun.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FL-Boss

Get a semi. Weatherby SA-08 black ... around $500.  I have 2 of them... great guns.  Very light too..

Waynesworld23

Get a used rem 870 and use the left over money for chokes and ammo
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Waynesworld23

A short barreled bps is on my list of wants. How do you like yours some folks say they are heavy is that true everyone I know hunts with rems or mossbergs. How has the bps treated you
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Longshanks

I saw a 11-87 in original bottomland with a 26" barrel in a pawn shop for $400 the other day. Double beads and just needed a turkey choke. I looked at the barrel of that old gun and it was smooth as glass. That's a turkey gun for life. I have a few turkey guns that are one shell guns and that makes them about as turkey specific as it gets. Bought a Beretta Outlander for around $600 and with a Jebs .660 choke it will shoot 4 different HTL loads well and good patterns with lead as well. POA/POI is dead on. Saved me allot of money to find a set up that will shoot a number of shells with double beads and no after market sights. I can shoot allot of the loads that I had laying around.   Just something to consider.