Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

First crossbow kill! Best hunt ever!!

Started by WNCTracker, April 14, 2016, 09:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

got to the woods later than I wanted to because of an unexpected road closure. I hustled up and headed across some fields to a spot I've never hunted but seen birds at before.  Then I heard what we all want to hear. Several gobblers gobbling at one time. It was perfect. The lay of the land. Tall pine trees around a corner allowing me to sneak the tree line and setup within 50 yards. The responded to my call immediately. Good news, I heard no tree yelps so I was the best looking girl in town!  I saw one fly down and heard another. They started hammering about 30 yards from me but they were over a hill in a cow field out of sight. First time I've ever heard drumming but man it got my adrenaline going. 10 mins of sweet talking them to me and finally I saw tail feathers cresting the hill and slowly one after another 4 10" longbeards were coming in. They got to an honest 15 yards and I decided that was as good as it gets. Now, today I carried my crossbow hoping to get my first one with an arrow. I remembered the YouTube videos and forum discussions, don't aim to far forward or too high. Their vitals are different then they seem when in full strut. I shot and heard the fffftt sound but the bird didn't move. I waited and nothing. It was still gobbling. And strutting. All 4 were. I waited 5 more minutes. Surely it would drop. Nope. Then I realized I'd dropped my backpack with the rope cocker 10 yards at the brush line when I setup because it was tangled and I was in a hurry. Crap!!  The birds were staying and I was hidden in a thicket so I figure what's the worst that could happen. I hand cocked the 175 lb draw crossbow while sitting on my butt. It took a dozen attempts but I finally got it and the birds hadn't spooked. I loaded a new bolt and they got nervous and went back accross the hill. I let out some yelps and a few gobbles. I made a post on whether anybody ever gobbled and some said only as a last resort. I figured this is a last resort. So I gobbled with my diaphragm and yelped and double gobbled over top of the yelps and honest to goodness all 4 birds came back in to 25 yards. There they were I was shaking like a youth's first time. I couldn't find the safety to my crossbow. Fumbled and fumbled and finally said to myself ,"pull yourself together man!" This time, not in full strut, I took dead aim, and dropped that 23.5 lb 11.25" bearded sucker stone cold in his tracks. Interestingly he didn't flop either but died more like a deer by bleeding out. I was stunned. My season is over and I've tagged out in both SC and NC. Thanks to all the forum members who have helped me along the way. I LOVE turkey hunting!!!

jepcho

Wow!!  Another amazing story and great kill!  Congrats man!  It's always bittersweet, love filling my last tag but hate that it means that its over.  Great season man

ILHUNTER

Awesome story, U-the man, you had a great season.

WNCTracker

Quote from: ILHUNTER on April 14, 2016, 12:27:37 PM
Awesome story, U-the man, you had a great season.
Couldn't have been any better. The icing on the cake was cocking the Xbow sitting on my but in a brush pile while 4 mature birds were 20-30 yards away strutting. Unbelievable. The stars must have aligned.

wmn2

Congrats! Awesome story as well! You're laying them down this year

Semper Fidelis

Gumby

Dr Juice

Great job. Killing one with my crossbow is on the bucket list.

357MAGNOLE

Nicely done man! I have been out 3 times so far. Best chance I had was yesterday, I had hens come into my setup... Then a person came into my setup  :'(
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

tomstopper

Flounder

Just read this. That's what makes this stuff so different that any other type of hunting. You never know what and how it's all going to play out.
Killed my first with a xbow at 2 yards, he spit,drummed and gobbled right beside the blind.
Great hunt,, you will forget. Congratulations!!