Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Day 1 is a bust

Started by Happy, April 21, 2016, 06:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Well day one of a four day hunting spree was a bust. Covered a lot of miles today and not a single gobble. Not a good start. Trying a different area in the morn. Hopefully will have better results. Was out twice in md on short roost hunts that didn't pan out. Seems like early is the best bet right now cause once they hit the ground things get pretty quiet.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Charley B

Seek find and kill, best options ;) you'll get them man.

jarbo03

Stick with it, good luck to ya!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

I was able to get one opening day in Allegany County. Birds are gobbling good on the roost but in the 4 days I hunted I have only heard maybe 10 gobbles after 0700.

spurman

Slow here also, not much gobbling and not seeing any gobblers. Keep on keeping on guys we need some more birds on the board.  :gobble:  :anim_25:
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Happy

Was surrounded by five birds yesterday morning. Three in sight and two behind me. Didn't call until I saw hens pitching off the ridge. Watched them bale off the ridge and sail about a mile down to the bottom. So what started off promising went south fast. It's only the first week of season so I am gonna keep on. Hitting it hard in the morning  matter of fact.

Happy

Well crap. Scaled this hill this morning and got on a hot one. Everthing went perfect until he popped his head over the rise. He knew he messed up as soon as he did it. I got a bead on his head as he was turning and touched it off, killing a magnificent  sapling and confirming what he already knew. Man that sucked.

spurman

Now that is some bad luck.

Last 2 times out I haven't heard a gobble, I think the birds have moved out. Try a different place in the morning.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Happy

Well good luck to you sir. Long as your out there then there is always a chance.

West Augusta

I had two very quiet days in Mason county Friday and Saturday.  Forecast is for rain all next week.  Looks like we'll have to hit the last week hard.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Happy

Seems like they are starting to pull off the hens a little now. Think the next two weeks are going to be good. Long as we don't get all the rain that's predicted. I think I am only going to get out two or three times this week. Work and two boys in baseball are kinda cutting into hunting time.

Happy

Well went out on public ground to face my nemesis that I missed last week. Didn't miss this time.

Smooth_Operator

Congrats! Nice upgrade!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Gobble!

Quote from: Happy on May 06, 2016, 10:34:40 AM
Well went out on public ground to face my nemesis that I missed last week. Didn't miss this time.

:z-guntootsmiley:

jarbo03

Very nice!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk