Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hoosier Daddy???

Started by Roost 1, April 29, 2016, 08:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Had a great hunt in Indiana today with Colt 45(IN), Whiskey(AL), and myself(KY). Colt 45 roosted 3 gobs with 3 hens last night in a creek bottom so we eased in there this morning early. Daylight greeted us with zero gobbling, I thought a heard one gobble way off towards neighbors cow pasture but I wasn't positive. About 7am I heard a hen cackle and 7 hens preceded to fly down about mid ways of field. After calling a little bit we finally heard a gobble up on the ridge, not real close. After some more agressive calling and getting an occasional answer, we heard a bird fire up across the road from us. Wasn't long and the bird in front was answering more frequently and eventually 3 gobs flew across the creek into the field. They immediately went out to the hens who were getting further away the whole time. So, this bird behind us is answering pretty regularly but eventually shuts up. Realizing these hens were not coming to my calls, I eased up quite a bit, just calling softly every once in a while. About 7:45 Colt says 2 gobs are coming in silent from behind us, they crossed the road. Whisky and I doubled on two 3 year olds. So, the other birds are just standing and looking about 400 yards away I hit them hard with some sharp cuts and they start melting down. Wasn't long 2 more birds get fired up on the ridge in front of us but the hens lead the 3 gobs back across the creek to who knows where. Colt and I make a plan to get up on the ridge although these birds have got quite, I knew they were there. We make our move up to bench well above the creek, I let out a serious of yelps and immediately get a response below us. Colt sets up and I move a little up the ridge behind him. He answers again then I get quite, he gobbles again on his own closer.. I start scratching the leaves, he gobbled again. I tell myself this bird is dead!!! After a few minutes a can see the top of his tail about 45yds on front of Colt. I scratch a little more and here he comes strutting up ridge. I can tell Colt's on him so I let a soft Yelp and a couple clucks just so he will stretch his neck and Colt smashes him at 35 yards...8:30 and #3 is dead. A nice 3 or 4 year old with 1 1/4" spurs and a bad case of beard rot!!! Great times with great friends!! Picked up a dead head on way out...

wvmntnhick

That's a good hunt for sure. Shame about the beard rot but congratulations either way man.

anthonyjhallen

Awesome hunt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snapper1982